Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
No No Nanahara; V1, V2, and BR
Topic Started: Feb 16 2007, 11:24 AM (2,050 Views)
Megami
Member Avatar
Squishy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You've all seen them. They're in every Battle Royale roleplay. A redheaded Mitsuko Souma. Another Kazuo Kiriyama. A more badass version of Hiroki Sugimura. While most of the Battle Royale characters seem to fade into the background, some of the more popular characters hold quite the influence over roleplays like Survival of the Fittest. Perhaps the most blatant Mitsuko clone over the course of Version 1 was Chi Masumi. From her biography onward, (despite the fact that she was a lesbian) her handler modeled her strongly after Mitsuko Souma. In a way, Peri Barclay and Stevan Hyde were more comedic versions of Kazuo Kiriyama, brutally ripping the competition apart without a care in the world.

We even have them in V2. Maybe they're more subtle, but the references are still there, and will continue to be there as long as people are roleplaying Battle Royale.

But with all the Shinji Mimura look-a-likes and the Takako Chigusa would-be's, two characters are continually overlooked. How often do you see a Shuya Nanahara based character? How about Noriko Nakagawa? Sure, you see the "hero" characters... the good guys who wouldn't hurt a fly, who overcome all obstructions and come out a winner. Hell, Adam Dodd was one of them. But Adam Dodd is not and was not based on Shuya Nanahara, nor are they even comparible in their actions. Where Shuya killed one, Adam killed twelve. Their personalities and actions are virtually incomparible. What about Noriko Nakagawa? We see the "good" girls, the ones who put blind faith in others, but it is there that the similarities often end.

So, here's the topic of discussion. Which characters, both Version 1 and Version 2, would you compare to Battle Royale characters, whether just in base design or whether they were an all out clone? If you based your character on a Battle Royale player, what inspired you to choose that character? Discuss.
Misa Achtland

Ayako Okogamine

Kevin De la Torre

Melissa Angelicchio

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Endless_Helix
Member Avatar
Gaaah! They're eating the flesh off my bones!
[ *  * ]
Harry Constantine has evolved into a slightly less hard-core Nanahara. He's kinda half way between Nanahara and Hiroki Sugimura, but less bad ass and more emo than either (as strange as that sounds; it's hard to get more emo than a mixture of those two.) it wasn't intenional, but he just kinda grew that way. It's a little bit of a stretch, but eh, I see the connection anyway.

Noriko has some similarities to Maggie Heartgreeder. I'm assuming that you planned to build Maggie around her somwhat.

I think the big problem is that you don't get less "awesome" than Nanahara and Noriko, in BR terms. Noriko didn't kill anyone, and Shuuya only managed to by accident. The only reason they made it through was that Shogo Kawada hooked up with them, and showed them the way off the island. The people who tend to plug into Battle Royale love to see blood and guts flying in every direction, preferably with a couple steamy scenes thrown in. In that sense, Shuuya and Noriko are massive failures. Since this is essentially a collectively written fan-fic...

On another note, I'm half-expecting Harry and Maggie to have a massive discussion about religion at some point. Harry is a Buddhist monk in training, and IIRC, Maggie comes from a devout christian family. it would be kind of amusing.
I now have... Meat Puppets! with 70% more calories than my last ones!
Mortimer Jones, Boy 66: Emotionless and Hungry
Joeseph Gai, Boy 67: Yet to debut

Do you know why they're called revolutions?

Cyco
Member Avatar
Suicidal Maniac
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Amusing in what way? Amusing like, Cyco's better off not reading it?
Posted Image

v3 Minions
B21: Nigel Gillespie
G09: Jessa Vanallen
B20: Harry Tsai
B13: James Brown
B112: Dennis Bernard

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As in everybody's better off not reading it because it's just a waste of time that will only result in the pointless genocide of the indigenous peoples we know as our brain cells.
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say

Shiola
Member Avatar
IDDQD
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Humorous?
V7:
Erika P. Stieglitz
Tyrell K. Lahti
Caroline S. Ford
Otis D. Bradley

Mitsuko2
Member Avatar
Slutty Dwarf
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
*steers discussion back on topic*
The Dan: she won me over with card games, brownies, sex and handcuffs

Edited as of 12/1/11

Alive: Norelia Concepcion, Elliot Stone, Allegra Hoffman

Posted Image

Xaldien
Member Avatar
A dream imporium
[ *  *  * ]
Maybe it's the fact that Nanahara is a huge literary Gary Stu?

Mitsuko2
Member Avatar
Slutty Dwarf
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I just wish to say that yes, I DID base the original version of Mariavel on Mitsuko. I know everyone's like 'yeah, we know' but i do believe that she's become more of a merge of Takako and Mitsuko now that blatent Mitsuko. Mitsuko was one of my more memorable charecters in BR. I loved her attitude and how she was able to manipulate her way through the compotition. Something tells me that if takako never met up with hiroki, and kaazuo didn't find her at the end, Mitsu would've killed hiroki and probobly Shuya, Noriko, and Shogo. I wanted to crate a charecter with her finess, but not her exact properties. Mariavel spawned from that (and my best friend).
The Dan: she won me over with card games, brownies, sex and handcuffs

Edited as of 12/1/11

Alive: Norelia Concepcion, Elliot Stone, Allegra Hoffman

Posted Image

Chase
Member Avatar
is only doing this 'cause you're a mod!
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

"Finally, last but not least was Lavender Heart. It's quite the love story, you know. Lavender sought out her best friend, but was wounded by Stephanie Crew during her search. Valiantly, Lavender continued on, struggling across the island until she finally found the beautiful Miss Mariavel Varella. Lavender died in her arms, after confessing her love to Mariavel."

Kotohiki and Hiroki, or Takako and Hiroki, totally reminiscent.
Risen from the dead.

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
To the point of a ripoff.
Edit: For those bleedin' hearts out there, 'cause I know those of you who are are lining up your sights (:P, so you know I'm fucking joking. For Darwin's sake, can't a guy not be serious for once?), that was a criticism, not a personal attack.

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Jotun
...Schmexy Dwarf? Eh, you play the hand you're dealt...
[ *  *  * ]
For fuck's sake Slayer, can you please just shut the fuck up and leave everyone alone? Damn.

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What, I'm not allowed to have my own opinion? It came across as a ripoff, so I said so. Since when does this board frown upon criticism? Oh, I forgot, I'm not in your little clique, so I don't have a brain. My fucking mistake. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Jotun
[ *  *  * ]
Just so you know champ, I'm fucking joking =P I LIKE you.

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maybe if you did, you wouldn't get in my face at every opportunity.

Quote:

Quote:

Things SOTFers say

Jotun
[ *  *  * ]
That was the first time! Our 'clique' isn't a bunch of faceless sensitive assholes, you can't just lump us together.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Character and Plot Analysis · Next Topic »
Add Reply