Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Project: Wiki
Topic Started: Jan 21 2007, 09:55 AM (17,615 Views)
Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CondorTalon
Jun 25 2013, 04:18 PM
Would the announcements state that he'd been pushed and not tell who the killer was, even if it had been an accident? Would we have to discount any accidental gun discharge that ended up killing someone as well?
This is the part that makes the case for me. In my(admittedly highly subjective) opinion, this seems like the sort of situation that the terrorists would twist to fuel the game. If the announcements would list Cassidy as the killer(and I can't think of a good thematic reason why they wouldn't), it feels like David's wiki page should as well.
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Emprexx Plush
Member Avatar
Paige/EP/Plush, they/them pronouns pls thanks :3
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have to agree that SotF is about SotF. The value of pre-game/meanwhile, for me, is not that they're equal and interesting sections, it's that they're complements.

Pre-game is just that: a prelude. Practice. It's a place to get into your character's skin and establish relationships in service of the game later on. You get into your zone, you find where you fit with others, and then you leverage that information later on to form more connections and story-points on the island for a good old murdery time.

Similarly, Meanwhile is an informant. When I think about my favorite Meanwhiles, they're about parent reactions, old survivors, and completely new ideas related to SotF from people totally divested of connection to the students themselves. It's about the culture surrounding SotF as the game goes on and the way the world reacts to it. Meanwhile characters are supports to the main game in that they provide additional context, but without the actual game, there wouldn't be much purpose to it.

Lots of good characters come out of SotF. They can do interesting things outside of the context of SotF. I personally use my SotF characters for other projects. However, in the context of the site, everything really should filter towards the game itself, and the character pages are designed for game information. That's not really relevant for pre-game characters since they're not in the game and don't need most of that information. Maybe I'm coming from it from an odd perspective since when I pre-game only a character, it's just because they didn't end up working out for my Island Cast or someone else ended up working out better, and I'm not really that concerned about their representation? That feels like how it should be on my end, though, simply because pre-game isn't equal to the main game and hasn't been at least as long as I've been on site, it's always been the sort of "training wheels" to the main game while Staff gets everything in place and everyone figures out their characters, and I like it that way personally.
SotF Characters

the highest honor i'll ever achieve

Plush Wants To Read Your Dead Things and your Living Things! As of 8/14/2017, the Living Queue is Closed, and the Dead Queue is Open!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply