Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Project: Wiki
Topic Started: Jan 21 2007, 09:55 AM (17,599 Views)
nope
Member Avatar
throw that pussy like i'm famous
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
how does i embed external images? i seem to have broken it :<

also, i'm confused about the Mid-Game Evaluation thing. Like, what exactly counts as a "mid-game" for a character? Is it the middle of the game itself, or the middle of the character's run on the island?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hayden's page decided to mutilate itself & I can't seem to undo the damage. Can anyone tell my what the hell happened & hopefully fix it?

edit: I love Kyle. A lot.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm gonna update the v4 roster with all the missing names as soon as I get home, but if someone could help me keep up with that from now on, that would be awesome ;)

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I disagree. I'd rather base my image of characters off of their descriptions. I'm all for some visual aids, & I think it's great when artists draw their own characters or get commissioned to draw someone else's, but I strongly dislike the idea of going though & doing every single character, especially without each individual handler's permission.

If you wanna do some fanart, I'd love to see it. But I wouldn't recommend going through & doing all 4+ sets. Just do the characters you like or something

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bloody_Fists
May 29 2009, 09:06 AM
You've made me feel pessimistic about this now... :(
I was initially going to go for the full set, but i had a quick think and maybe just the most popular characters from each version. I just thought it would a cool little add on to the wiki and have pictures neck to the names on the character lists, some people do like to have the visual aid, but if handlers dont want their characters drawn then fair enough.

The most popular/impactful characters is a very good idea, & tbh probably be something you guys would have more fun doing anyway. The permission thing is my only real worry, because we all have very strong mental images of our characters & some people may not want their own portrayed in a way that clashes with that. But I'm not arguing with the general idea. SOTF art would be awesome, & I don't think it's hurt to decorate the wiki a little :D

@Genosser: I don't see why it wouldn't be. Just keep in mind that if some people aren't happy with how their own characters turn out, they're probably within their rights to remove the art from their pages or relegate it to a link in the Trivia section or something

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Genosser
May 30 2009, 11:58 AM
Just wondering, is it ok if we go ahead and get V4 profiles started?

No. None of them are approved for the island, therefore there's no reason to put them up. The roster could change dramatically by the time the game rolls around, & there's not even enough information to complete the game profiles, so it'll just create a massive amount of unnecessary work.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
faceinabook
Aug 24 2009, 07:15 PM
V4

The Bayview Student Body page is sadly out of date again, and it needs all of you to help keep it up to snuff! What would be super handy would be if someone could just keep an eye on the 'Approved Characters' board, and whenever someone new is approved, add it to the wiki so that we're not dealing with so much backlog. As it is, I'll start going through it sometime today or tomorrow, but I would lovelovelove having some help with updating it. Danke <3

To add to this, I just took a peek & noticed that plenty of people have been adding & updating their own characters, but not really touching anything else. It's awesome to see that some of you are keeping on top of your own stuff, but please feel free to add a few newly-approved characters or fix up any mistakes you spot while you're at it. It'd be an enormous help. We shouldn't need to be relying on poor Rose to keep track of everything for us

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Another note! When you edit, please mention what you've actually edited in the "Summary" section before you submit. It'll keep things much more organized & coherent, & save the next person to edit that page a little trouble.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Rattlesnake
Mar 15 2010, 04:07 AM
So, the wiki's still borked. Is there some possible restoration in the pipeline, or should we just go back to work rebuilding it?
We're waiting for word from editthis's admin. Our hands are pretty much tied until then.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So I've been noticing a lot of things like quotes & new sections being edited into pages where they really don't fit in well or belong at all. I think it's really awesome that so much work is going into the wiki, don't get me wrong. But for those of us who use the wiki a little less frequently, it gets really confusing when we do go on for a little research & there's all this info shoved into places where it doesn't make any sense to be. For you guys adding all this stuff, could you maybe talk about it on the board and get some visible (as in on the board, not just in the chat) feedback so we all know what's going on? Because as it stands it's all getting a little messy.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
GUYS. SERIOUSLY. The amount of work going on here is stunning & fantastic but I can't find a single person who knows what's going on in the wiki. If you're going to do big overhauls like this, keep everyone updated please. This is just getting silly now.

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dom
Oct 9 2010, 09:36 PM
Tbh, it's not that big an overhaul but whatever, apparently this is important.
don't you sass me young man ^o)

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
the wiki's kind of a mess right now, so i'd like to propose a few changes to make is less of a total wreck to navigate.

first off, we have a few totally useless/redundant pages & sections that could do with some trimming:

• v0- the actual write-up of v0 was never completed, & i believe we have a few orphaned pages for the rest of the test-runs, so it might be best to just combine everything into a "Test Runs" section

• v1- Unapproved Characters should be deleted. it's totally asinine & we didn't allow another one of these to be made for v4 for good reason. Goofs doesn't have anything that can't be relegated to individual pages' trivia sections

• v2- Class Roster is redundant since that info is already in profiles. if anything, it should be added as a column to the Students page but it's not important enough for its own page

• v3- Student Body, same deal as the class roster. Redundant & not very useful

basically, we should cut everything down to the template that v4's section has set. it's concise, useful & solid

for the main section:

• SOTF ACT & Vital Info have redundant info between them & should probably be combined

• Same with Danya, Terrorists & VIPs. Since Danya's dead & the VIPs page is no longer used for non-winner students, we should probably just smash everything together for a general "Important Characters" page

• High Schools is, you guessed it, redundant. Schools should be listed under their relevant sections, we don't need a separate link for the whole bunch.

• Handlers should just go. It hasn't been properly up-to-date since at least when I joined in 2008, & it's almost entirely useless.

on that last note, how the handler list/pages are handled on the wiki are a huge pain. some suggestions on that front:

• The Handlers page as we have it has no reason to exist. The staff list might possibly be something we want to keep. Alternatively, if we could sort handlers by versions they were active in &/or list characters they handled with them, that might be pretty cool. Even that sounds like it wouldn't be worth the effort for how little use it'd have tho.

• On that note, individual handler pages are even worse off. They tend to be huge & obnoxious or just totally blank, & in either case, totally devoid/seemingly intent on burying actual useful info. My suggestion is that we build a template that lays out the basics: Handle, versions active, characters, a SHORT, CONCISE "Other Info" section, etc etc. for those of you who are totally in love with your current profiles, you could move it to your editor profile & link to it from your main one. Seriously tho, the handler profiles are something that could be a useful tool, but as it is they're a useless & annoying wreck

& besides all this we're still majorly behind on v3/v4 pages. i plan on pitching in more on the v4 side of things, so if anyone wants to join me there, that would be super swell.

thoughts/opinions/etc?

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
absolutely, good call. i know VIP already mentions the terrorists, but STAR def belongs in there too

nope
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, the idea is to make the VIP page a list of important NPCs. Giving the gov't/terrorists/STAR each their own individual pages is another idea that could work well.

i'd actually rather trash the Handlers page after some thought, which is why i'm also going to be pushing hard for profile templates. think of it this way: even if we fix the format, we still have 700+ characters & 200+ (over one hundred in v4 alone) handlers. That's nearly a thousand links on a single page, & far more than that if we sort by version because it would mean linking many handlers multiple times. It's just large & convoluted to a point where it wouldn't be useful.

on the profile templates, i want to make this very clear before i go on, because i know it sounds really restrictive at first: i am not suggesting that the current profiles be wiped. i'm suggesting that they be moved to editor profiles, & that the current pages be made more informative.

if i may, hon, i'd like to use your profile as an example. it's written a bit like a personal essay in paragraph-form, it's a bit on the lengthy side, it's made up mostly of opinion & subjective info, & it has its links interspersed throughout the writing.

now, imagine i'm a lurker or a new handler looking at this. i just came from one of your character profiles, & i clicked on your page looking for a few key things: other characters you've handled in that version, whether you've participated in other versions, some info about you in the context of the board, & maybe a small amount of purely personal info. the format your profile is in makes this all very inconvenient to find at a glance. the character links are scattered everywhere & not easily identifiable by version, i have to dig to get a full picture of which versions you've been in, & the important strokes (that you're an admin, that you were involved in the v3 escape, etc) are tucked away in places that i may not even notice if i'm just trying to skim or find info at a glance.

& beyond that, there is a ton of subjective info that, as a newbie, will mean nothing to me & that i'm probably just not interested in (if anything, if i'm looking for opinions, i'm looking at the Your Thoughts sections). all in all, it's a page with very little use & it makes the important info unnecessarily hard for me to find.

speaking as an active handler, it's still useless to me. if i want to find characters you've handled, it's easier for me to use the wiki's search function, because i know i'll have to link-hunt through paragraphs of text if i go straight to your profile. & as someone who knows you, this profile is doubly useful. i'm not looking for an extended history, i'm looking for basic info & some links.

tl;dr: the wiki is meant to present info in a concise, useful way. most current profiles are in the same boat as yours, if they're not just blank. the main users of this wiki are new readers/handlers who are looking to catch up & regular handlers, & this page is useless to both of those groups. if we're going to have handler pages at all, we might as well make them something usable

now, i'm not saying that nobody browsing the wiki will ever be looking for a little subjective opinion or personal info. that's where the editor profiles come in. the template i'm suggesting would have a field to link to them, & profiles as they are now could be moved there

here's an example of what i'm thinking for a template:

Quote:

Handle:
Group: (i.e. handler, staff, etc)
Versions Active:
v4 Characters:
v3 Characters:
etc etc.

Editor Profile:

Important Info: (or some other less shit title)
  • important events/escapes participated in, former handles, etc etc blah blah blah

Other Info:

• blah

& while i'm already constructing a massive wall of text, a few more tweaks i'd like to make:

• bka/bda is orphaned & out of date. i'd like to spruce it up & link it from general info, if that's cool

• i'd also like to temporarily link the master list from the v4 section. it's useful, always up-to-date, & already gets some decent traffic. but it's also a bit tucked away right now, so i'd like to have it somewhere more visible. we can kill the link once v4 wraps, since it'll be a blank document by then anyway

• some profiles have sections that break the template (see: adam dodd). these should be wiped or relegated to trivia

• we have a ton of characters who have been handled by multiple handlers, but that info's usually tossed in trivia, if it's even mentioned. could we maybe add a "Handled by:" field to evaluations?

• i know the Your Thoughts sections don't tend to get a lot of use because editing the wiki is intimidating for a lot of people. if any of the wiki admins want to enable comments on profile pages, that could be a much better way to encourage feedback. this would probably involve wiping the Your Thoughts sections to avoid redundancy, but anything there already could just be CP'd & reposted as comments

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply