Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
V2 vs V1 Characters
Topic Started: Jan 9 2007, 01:30 AM (3,967 Views)
Nealosi
Member Avatar
Level 80
[ *  *  * ]
This topic is mainly for my to exploit all the people that were around for V1 because I'm interested... and cheeky. :P

See any parallels between your favourite V1 characters and a V2 character? Any characters that you think might turn out to be just like a V1 favourite? Any other comparisons? Was the competition more or less fierce? Who will take on the infamous roles of many of the other V1 favourite this time around? Why am I still asking questions? Because...

For starters I'd like to say that I see a great many difference between V2 and V1 and a lot of new unique characters, even though I never played V1. So to start things off:

Hawley Faust vs Ernest Decarteret: Both deject young boys, both a little off and when push comes to shove, they both snap. We haven't seen Ernest snap yet, but he will, and when he does it's not going to be pretty. Neither are intently villainous, just victims of circumstance.

That's all I've got for now, but more will come. Especially with the help of you! The TV audience! ;)
I eat alone in a desert with skulls for my pets,
I rate the days 1 to 10 with lead cigarettes.

v4

Jeremy Ressler
Catherine Cowie
Haaziq Muhammad Sayf
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jotun
...Schmexy Dwarf? Eh, you play the hand you're dealt...
[ *  *  * ]
I like Earnest and I like Hawley =( But I think they're two different kinds of characters even though I too would put them in the same archetype. (That archetype, in my opinion was defined by Hawley, but.)

Hawley wasn't crazy so much as he was just troubled, whereas I understand it Ernest has uncontrolled aggression and schizophrenia. Also, whereas Hawley kind of started out a badass and worked his way into a more sympathetic role, I don't think Ernest will redeem himself the same way.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Endless_Helix
Member Avatar
Gaaah! They're eating the flesh off my bones!
[ *  * ]
Actually, speaking as Ernest's handler, I'd definately say that Ernest is a part of the "dejected child" archetype, but Hawley and Ernest are in different categories within the archetype. Hawley was the most popular of the "dejected children" in V1, and consequently what made him great was the fact that he snapped and came back; his dark coutner-part in V2 is definately Damien Carter-Madison. Both snap early on, but Damien loses himself to the game. Ernest plays the part of the "devil in angel's clothes", sharing a sub-category with (most notably) Atomic Waffle's albino. Ernest has more in common with Hawley than any V1 celebrity, but the link is still pretty casual. In all honesty, there is more shared with Adam Dodd's younger brother than with Mr. Faust. It's good to know that Ernest has a following of sorts.

Also, Paris Persiphone vs Cody Jensen? They both were playing from the start, and (probably , in Paris' case) continue being the killers of the game. Paris isn't quite as defined, but I expect violent things of him.

Harry Constantine vs Eddie Serjeantsen? Both are more altruistic, but both are *somehwhat* violent, Harry more so than Eddie. After all, Harry has a kill already.
I now have... Meat Puppets! with 70% more calories than my last ones!
Mortimer Jones, Boy 66: Emotionless and Hungry
Joeseph Gai, Boy 67: Yet to debut

Do you know why they're called revolutions?
Offline Profile Goto Top

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
do you want to go to war, balakay?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I can see the Harry/Sarge comparison.

Shame that he never got too developed.

Also an FYI, to set the record straight: Garry Dodd (Waffle's character) while being portrayed by my ACTUAL younger brother is SOTF Adam Dodd's COUSIN.

Just to clear it up.

This should also be in another forum, so I'm moving it.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Endless_Helix
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Adam,Jan 19 2007
02:01 PM
Also an FYI, to set the record straight: Garry Dodd (Waffle's character) while being portrayed by my ACTUAL younger brother is SOTF Adam Dodd's COUSIN.

Just to set the record straight, I meant the brother that Dodd has in the Canadian Asylum (who's name escapes me right now), that he eventually makes up with. I wasn't talking about Garry Dodd. :)

One thing that's kind of annoyed me about this forum, pretty much since the beginning, is that there is a lot of what I'd refer to as "metagaming". Did anyone else notice how almost no characters have tried to break out of the island, in either Version? It isn't a rampant problem or anything, but it's annoyed me a little over my third reading of the SOTF V1 archive. It makes sense, people have a story in mind for their characters, but it always commences around them killing people and tragically dying... It seems the only somewhat original character would the one that actually tries to beat the system in a way that doesn't require killing lots of people.

I suppose Eddie was going to be that originally, but he definately died too early on to develop into that. Ernest Decarteret was supposed to start a serious resistence group, and then act as the fail-safe button to gum it up if escape became too likely... However, the initial group Ernest hooked up with was far too plot oriented and interested in playing the game for that.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Shiola
Member Avatar
IDDQD
[ *  *  *  * ]
Garry Dodd is definately going to try and escape the island at one point, weather it will be the death of him or the simple elimination of him from the competition is something I haven't thought of yet.

Derrin Istoli will most likely at one point become tortured by his constant mental issues, and probably won't think of leaving the island.

My un-announced character which will be appearing at the end of day 3 should have some ideas of leaving the island, but i'm not going to say any more about her.

Lester Treskington would've been playing the game and eliminating the terrorists would have been his primary goal, however he sort of...died.
V7:
Erika Stieglitz
Tyrell Lahti
Caroline Ford
Henry Sparks
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shula
Member Avatar
Queen of the Pirates
[ *  * ]
^^ I'd noticed that as well. Adrian's current thread is trying to set him up for finding a way to beat the system or (more likely) die trying. (Ironically enough, he's the only one of mine who's "participated" yet.)

My other two are either too far gone and assume they'll be fine or just don't see the point in bothering.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Megami
Member Avatar
Squishy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If you think that very few people have tried escaping the island in either version, you must've not read too much of V1. Several groups of characters banded together and attempted to escape. In fact, I'll list them for you. Adam Dodd, Amanda Jones, Madelaine Shirohara, Marcus Roddy, Hawley Faust, and David Jackson -- the 'main characters' of V1, had intentions of all six of them escaping the island throughout the majority of V1. Martyn Ferdinand, Jill Gatling, Jack O'Connor, and to a lesser extent Sydney Crosby and Hannah Juett also seriously attempted escape. In fact, Jack hacked into Danya's computer systems in a failed attempt to hijack collar information. Daisuke Andou, Aiden Ambrose, Eddie Serjeantson, Miranda Grey, the Hughes twins, and Mallory DeLuca all made a pack to attempt to escape the island together, but were all inevitably killed.

As for V2, I have noticed a lot less would-be escapees this round. I know of the Ricky/Jackie/Gail/John group that's actually bent on escaping, but almost everyone else seems resigned to play the game.

And... comparisons. Hm. I definitely wouldn't compare Paris Persphone to Cody Jenson. Cody was a main game motivator in the later stages, but he really wasn't much at the beginning. The key difference between Paris and Cody, and the reason that I wouldn't compare them, is that Cody was... well, insane. Not at first, but after that blow to the back of the head with Madelaine Shirohara's tire iron, Cody's mind gradually regressed. If I would compare Paris to anybody, it'd be Jacob Starr in that neither have qualms about killing other people and are/were motivators in the early stages of the game.
Misa Achtland

Ayako Okogamine

Kevin De la Torre

Melissa Angelicchio

Offline Profile Goto Top

The Burned Handler
Member Avatar
I used to be a handler like you, then I turned into a horse.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, that's not entirely accurate (as much as I like insulting my characters), but that's probably from bad writing on my part. Jacob had qualms, but he surpressed them to do what he knew he had to do. In a way, the comparison still fits looking at it that way, though. the earlier posts where Paris decides to play has him adopting an almost identical mindset. It also makes more sense that most of the v2 cast would be resigned to play the game. They saw the last game, they know there's no way out (hell, even Jack, who ALMOST succeeded, failed in the end, his virus didn't take effect in time) but to play, ergo it's sensible most would see that as the only option.
MurderWeasel getting impatient

Hiya, jerk! Please don't post until edits have been completed, as doing so causes confusion/messes up the queue.

Quote:

18:48 Ruggawork I have faith in you!
18:48 Ruggawork and your ass!

Quote:

16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Iktor?
16:35 Kilmarnock Maybe Toben.
16:35 Kilmarnock hard to tell until they make out with me.
16:35 *** mib_6brm7d is now known as Irene

Things SOTFers say
Offline Profile Goto Top

Endless_Helix
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Megami
Jan 19 2007, 07:10 PM
If you think that very few people have tried escaping the island in either version, you must've not read too much of V1. Several groups of characters banded together and attempted to escape. In fact, I'll list them for you. Adam Dodd, Amanda Jones, Madelaine Shirohara, Marcus Roddy, Hawley Faust, and David Jackson -- the 'main characters' of V1, had intentions of all six of them escaping the island throughout the majority of V1. Martyn Ferdinand, Jill Gatling, Jack O'Connor, and to a lesser extent Sydney Crosby and Hannah Juett also seriously attempted escape. In fact, Jack hacked into Danya's computer systems in a failed attempt to hijack collar information. Daisuke Andou, Aiden Ambrose, Eddie Serjeantson, Miranda Grey, the Hughes twins, and Mallory DeLuca all made a pack to attempt to escape the island together, but were all inevitably killed.

As for V2, I have noticed a lot less would-be escapees this round. I know of the Ricky/Jackie/Gail/John group that's actually bent on escaping, but almost everyone else seems resigned to play the game.

I stand corrected. I recieved different impressions of the action during my reading (You just knew that there was no chance of Jack's Virus succeeding by reading the first paragraph of that post). Perhaps my involvement with V2 has colored my reading of V1... But that said, I wouldn't group Adam Dodd, Amanda Jones, Madelaine Shirohara, Marcus Roddy, Hawley Faust, and David Jackson as "attempting to escape" as they did nothing to exlpore their environment or attempt to change it. Their first goal was definately survival within the environment as presented to them. Stepping outside of that imposed boundary is what defines a potential escapee, in my mind.

One thought might be that the actual goal of SOTF is for the kids to escape; what made humans a successful lifeform was that they could alter their environment. That's what made us "the fittest". We could change the circumstances that produced us, and generate more favorable environments. So SOTF is merely the ultimate test of the human species in Danya's eyes; SOTF is possibly one of the most hostile enviroments, because if you don't solve the puzzle in under 24 hours... people die. It's also designed to divide the kids, to prevent them from working together. The idea could be to prove that people are basically good... however, by that line of thinking, V1 backfired and proved that deep down, society is producing people who are shortsighted, evil, and untrustworthy.

Hmmm... maybe I need to create a character that purports this viewpoint...

Offline Profile Goto Top

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
do you want to go to war, balakay?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wacky-wailing-inflaitable-arm-flailing-tube-man! Wacky-wailing-inflaitable-arm-flailing-tube-man! Wacky-wailing-inflaitable-arm-flailing-tube-man!

Anyways, now that we've gotten that out of the way...

I think that someone pointed out to me over AIM that a lot of these characters in V2 seem to have a plan, or are involved in a plot. The difference amongst them is that there seems to be very little spontaneity amongst the V2 kids. V1, there was tons of it. Nobody knew that Adam, Hawley, Amanda, Madelaine, Dave, or Marcus would meet up. It just sorta happened. Here, it seems as though everyone's very...predestined.

I guess I had a big plotline thing in V1, and it seems like I'm tryingt o stay away from it for the most part and yet while in v1, everyone else was random, now it's the reverse.

We haven't seen much of any of the pre-set groups fall in on each other yet, I don't think. I mean, has one group of friends from the outside gotten together on the inside? I don't think it's happened yet. Even the baseball boys barely got together in v1...
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jotun
...Schmexy Dwarf? Eh, you play the hand you're dealt...
[ *  *  * ]
It's difficult to act without planning now, since everyone has a plan. =\ When I first got here I was so lost.

Technically I still am, but I have the charisma to strike out on my own <_< =)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shiola
Member Avatar
IDDQD
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've sort of decided to take a middle ground. A basic plan, but more of a... Guideline.
V7:
Erika Stieglitz
Tyrell Lahti
Caroline Ford
Henry Sparks
Offline Profile Goto Top

Megami
Member Avatar
Squishy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I personally think all the plsnning in V2 sucks. Everybody has like every little detail from their character's awakening up till their death planned out, and all the spontaniety from V1 is gone. There's no more "Let's throw these five characters in a thread and see what happens!" it's "I've got my plan and there's no room for you in it." Lame.

It's hard to compare V1 and V2 characters, because V2 seems to have repeats of the same archetypes, whereas V1 seemed to vary more. V1 had its share of "stone-cold loners", don't get me wrong. The funny part is that they're a rare breed in V2. Everyone seems to fall into the "popular kid" or "rich bitch" archetypes. I'd personally like to see some more variation. Where are the Cillian Crowes and Callum Hadleys of V2?
Misa Achtland

Ayako Okogamine

Kevin De la Torre

Melissa Angelicchio

Offline Profile Goto Top

Shiola
Member Avatar
IDDQD
[ *  *  *  * ]
Woah... My next character is going to be a BIG change then.
:lol:
V7:
Erika Stieglitz
Tyrell Lahti
Caroline Ford
Henry Sparks
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Character and Plot Analysis · Next Topic »
Locked Topic