Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
A Warning I want to issue...
Topic Started: Oct 28 2006, 06:30 PM (826 Views)
I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
do you want to go to war, balakay?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey everyone. I'm sitting here, drinkin' a beer, writing an essay and watching a hockey game, and during the commercial break I've been just surfing the net. As I logged onto the SOTF site, I realized that, amazingly enough, we have SIXTY-TWO characters and the game hasn't even started yet.

Now, I know we're all anxious for SOTF v2 to start, but we've got to make sure that we don't fall into a similar kind of trap that we did during the latter half of v1. Like, 62 is a lot of characters. I'd just like to make sure - if you have an approved character, you DO have to RP with them semi-regularily. So like, if you don't plan on using a character until much later on, you might not want to post them up just yet. I'm just wanting us all to be really conscious of the fact that inactivity WILL be dealt with REALLY seriously, and quickly. We won't have the same kind of issue as we did in V1 - the administrators will make sure of that.

So with that being said - we've got a couple days to go, and I hope everyone is ready and raring to go!
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Megami
Member Avatar
Squishy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just seconding Adam on this. I think it's fantastic that everyone is eager to participate in V2, but remember that the Inactivity Rule applies to each CHARACTER -- meaning that if I post actively with Ali but let Eric slip for two weeks and do nothing with him, he'll be put on the probation list, then he'll go to the chopping block. Also, if you consistently make characters that go inactive, we'll stop approving more than you can handle at a time. The character cap won't be for a long while yet, so don't feel the need to overload yourselves. ^^. We're going to be rough about inactivity this time around because of all the problems from V1, so be on your toes, and if you're going away, make SURE you post a message for us lest you return to find your characters executed.
Misa Achtland

Ayako Okogamine

Kevin De la Torre

Melissa Angelicchio

Offline Profile Goto Top

Chase
Member Avatar
is only doing this 'cause you're a mod!
[ *  *  *  * ]
For anyone else who hasn't had it drilled into their heads....

Slow the feck down!

^_^
Risen from the dead.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jotun
...Schmexy Dwarf? Eh, you play the hand you're dealt...
[ *  *  * ]
Megami

Q. How are people chosen to die?
A. In short, we at SOTF V2 have incorporated the "dice roll system" from the original SOTF, with a few modifications in the interest of fairness. Two rolls are done, the first to decide the handler, the second to decide which character will be chosen to die.

The odds of not losing a favorite character increase the more characters you have. It bites, but that's incentive.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Chase
Member Avatar
is only doing this 'cause you're a mod!
[ *  *  *  * ]
We're rolling at the beginning of each month. Inactivity goes every 2 weeks. You can very easily lose your protective characters before the next roll, and if you are rolled then you have no scapegoat.

More characters just means you might lose them faster.
Risen from the dead.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jotun
[ *  *  * ]
Only in the off chance you can't keep up with 5 characters. It's not that hard to do.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Megami
Member Avatar
Squishy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
He's got a point. If you have five characters, the chances your "flagship" will get rolled are 1/5, whereas if you have two characters it's a 1/2 chance of said character getting rolled. I don't care whether you have 2 or 5, personally. I'm simply saying that if you've got five and don't post with them, we'll eliminate them and be less likely to approve any more "padding", if that makes sense. I honestly expect this game to be twice the size of V1 and faster paced.
Misa Achtland

Ayako Okogamine

Kevin De la Torre

Melissa Angelicchio

Offline Profile Goto Top

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's hoping it's faster-paced. :D
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jotun
[ *  *  * ]
The conclusion I've reached, following discussion, is this.

Should someone wish to carry a flagship character a long way, they'll need to create as many others as possible, in order to have five at all times and help their flagship along, giving them the best possible odds, and so that when the character cap comes into play, they'll have a full five character roster to help them through to get to endgame.

Unfortunately, it doesn't take writing ability or free time to determine this, and so busier users still make as many characters as possible, and if they have less time but still intend to support their flagship, their overall writing quality goes down, hurting the atmosphere of the board. Unfortunately, that also means that those who have more free time have an advantage in affecting the outcome of the game.

The problem, then, is the giving incentive to have as many characters as possible, encouraging those who are not capable of managing that ability to do it anyway.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Nealosi
Member Avatar
Level 80
[ *  *  * ]
Mr. Jotun does have a valid point. I personally did not make five characters in order ro further one falgship. I've pondered the possibilities of each of my characters going all the way to the end, but I've also willingly pondered the possibilities of them all dying. Nevertheless, some people are prone to abuse the system. I think there should be a roll for all the characters. This just means that people with more characters have a worse chance of having their characters survive and people with less have a higher chance of surviving, but then again that isn't really fair either <_< .

I don't know, it would be really hard to create an impartial system what with people having un-even amounts of characters. Nevertheless, I don't think the current system is without its merits. Either way. We'll have to see...
I eat alone in a desert with skulls for my pets,
I rate the days 1 to 10 with lead cigarettes.

v4

Jeremy Ressler
Catherine Cowie
Haaziq Muhammad Sayf
Offline Profile Goto Top

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Primarily, I just wanted to ensure that everyone knows - if you make five characters and only plan to use one at a time, your other four characters will be ruled as inactive. Only make as many characters as you can handle, people. That was a HUGE problem last time around.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sephy
Member Avatar
High priestess of all things Gackt.
[ * ]
I'm wondering, why is the diceroll divided into handlers this time?
I remember in the last SOTF, characters were just randomly lumped into groups each diceroll, first roll detirmined the group next roll detirmined which character out of that group, I think that's a lot fairer then going by handler, and it'd be less incentive for people to create 5 character when they know they'll only roleplay properly with 1 of them.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

LadyMakaze
Member Avatar
Five percent.
[ *  *  * ]
Congratulations, Sephy, you just answered your own question. ^^
Posted Image
MATSUDAAAAAAAAAAAA~

Lady's Lineup:

Alive: Julie Mikan(at the Marsh), Alice Jones(at the Jailhouse)

Dead: Luke Rowan, Nadine Willowbrook, Galen Neilson

v4: Mina "Yulin" Bathory, Gwynnes "Gwyn" Whitaker
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sephy
Member Avatar
High priestess of all things Gackt.
[ * ]
So we're going by handler because it's less fair?
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

LadyMakaze
Member Avatar
Five percent.
[ *  *  * ]
Huh, well I think I read that question wrong. Sorry Sephy.

Anyways, the idea was to pretty much make it more fair. It pretty much guarantees that each handler has an equal chance of being rolled. Unlike the first system where there was a chance one handler could lose two or all of their characters in one roll. Case and point being my friend Riser here, who pretty much had two of her characters rolled in one go.
Posted Image
MATSUDAAAAAAAAAAAA~

Lady's Lineup:

Alive: Julie Mikan(at the Marsh), Alice Jones(at the Jailhouse)

Dead: Luke Rowan, Nadine Willowbrook, Galen Neilson

v4: Mina "Yulin" Bathory, Gwynnes "Gwyn" Whitaker
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic