Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
(!) This board is no longer active please join us in the new '07 CWC: http://w11.zetaboards.com/cwc2007/

Add Reply
Combat BETA Sign-Ups/ June BTS / Teaser Images
Topic Started: June 1 2012, 01:58 PM (1,246 Views)
Darkstdragon

Combat Beta: Sign-Up Now!

Beta Sign Ups Now Open!

Today sees the launch of The Evolution of Combat beta sign-up, giving you the opportunity to be one of the first to try out one of our biggest ever updates! Sign up between the 1st and 19th of June for the chance to help define one of the biggest updates in RuneScape's history. Check it out here.

In recognition of the commitment shown by long-term RuneScape members, anyone with 12 or more consecutive months of membership will have full, unlimited access to the beta from day one! If you meet this requirement , you'll be informed that you're automatically eligible for full access when you sign up. In addition to this, we will be choosing another 50,000 from the remaining pool of players who apply to take part. Sign-up is still required to be able to take part in the beta program.

To sign up, click on the Combat Beta Contract in your inventory, or go straight to www.runescape.com/combat

To celebrate the beta sign up we've launched the Combat HQ: a new area on our website devoted to giving you information about this epic update. Head over to the Combat HQ and you'll see all the latest news about the Evolution of Combat, and a sneak peak at some of the upcoming changes; this week, you can find out more about new abilities! There's also a new forum where you can discuss all things combat-related.

The RuneScape Team

Discuss this here.

Og Blog: Evolution of Combat

Hi all,

I'm sure that, by now, all of you who are reading this Og Blog have heard that we are working on a brand new combat system. Over my 9 years at Jagex, there have been plenty of things that we've just wanted to pull out and rebuild from the ground up, but it's always been easier to invent new things than to go back and fix older content, especially when dealing with something that's integral to the game that you guys know and love. You deserve the best, though, so we're taking the bold(and scary!) step of starting again and designing a system that'll take RuneScape charging forward - teeth bared and scimmies brandished!

With a strong desire to add new equipment and combat abilities to the high-level parts of the game, and a team of amazing developers clamouring to take on the challenge, we've got something we're very proud of. In fact, it's almost ready for our best and toughest reviewers - you - to put it through its paces. So, what's it all about? Well, for now I'd like to list the challenges we have set ourselves to overcome, and in later blogs from me and the team we'll be explaining how we've met them:

Refocus combat to be more about player skill - Combat should be an opportunity for you to use your skills as a player. That means making it more about mastering techniques, rather than navigating interfaces at speed.

Encourage variety in combat equipment - We want you to be thinking carefully about the equipment you choose for any given situation, tweaking and making alterations according to your enemy's strengths and weaknesses. The problem is, at the moment, there aren't many reasons to change from your favourite weapons or armour. We'd like to give you those reasons.

Make it fun! - There's room in combat for situations that require a greater deal of attention and skill to overcome, hopefully making it more fun. In these situations, you'll be rewarded for your efforts with more XP. In-game combat - particularly training on standard enemies - currently involves clicking on a creature and waiting. We'll do a whole lot more to make these situations challenging, rewarding and - ultimately - more fun.

Make it easier to access - Several combat options (special attacks, combat styles, spellbooks) are tucked away, hard to access, or on various different interfaces, so we're planning to bring all those options together.

Give rangers and mages a fighting chance - The combat triangle can be less of a triangle and more of a pancake - flat and a little out of shape - with melee dominant in training and PvP situations. Let's put rangers and mages firmly back on that triangle.

Fill the gaps in existing equipment tiers - We've got an opportunity with the Evolution of Combat to plug holes in the tiers of combat equipment. Magic 'armour' is rare, and generally caters for a small level bracket, while melee and ranger sets are missing gloves, boots, etc.

Encourage challenging fights - We'd like the most challenging, rewarding and fun creatures to also be the most efficient creatures to fight. At the moment, it can seem more efficient to train on creatures that deal little damage and go down without a fight.

Fix the relationship between Defence, life points and damage outputs - Your ability to heal damage, through food or similar mechanics, should be comparable to how much damage you receive. That's not quite true at the moment, and we'd like to address that.

Allow players' combat levels to truly represent their ability - The combat level calculator is complicated and encourages players to not train certain skills in an attempt to create a false impression of their damage potential (pures).

Simplify the code and balancing - We want to add more high-level (85+) equipment to the game, but the existing system can make this extremely difficult. Flexibility would allow us to even add more combat styles in the future.

Be brave, but be traditional where possible - We are a game with a proud heritage and a player base with clear expectations of the game they want to play. We don't want to make a game that we can't even recognise anymore.

Of course, that's just the tip of the iceberg, but you'll have to wait a little longer to hear full details of what we have in store for you combat fans. I know there are several big pieces of news that will excite you all!

No doubt, some of you are apprehensive what were planning to do. After all, it's a game many of us have played for 10 years or more, and this is the biggest, most fundamental change in its history. As always, we only change things because we truly believe they need to be changed; every single update has strong reasons to exist, and this is no exception. With your feedback and your help, though, we can make this the best update yet, and one that's as much yours as it is ours.

During the Beta, we will be on the forums every single day, reading your posts and starting conversations with those of you pushing the combat system to its limits. Even though we have a team full of experts with thousands of game hours between them and more 99's than you could shake a completionist's cape at, we realise that we can't cover everything, and that's where you come in. Between us, we can make an update that's fantastic for everybody!

See you in the Beta worlds - I'll be the one getting pwned. In the meantime, enjoy the QBD!

Mod Mark (Og)
RuneScape Lead Designer

Behind the Scenes - June

Fish Flingers Improvements...and Bigger Fish! (Members Only)

In August 2011, we revamped the Temple Trekking minigame and we were really pleased with the results. This month, we bring you...the Fish Flingers rework! For those of you who donít know what Fish Flingers is, itís a great little player-skill-based D&D, suitable for all levels, where you and other players compete to become the greatest fisherman of all time...well, until the beginning of the next game, anyway.

The rework's first job will be to dramatically increase accessibility so that it's easier to get to Fish Flingers games between bouts of 'normal' fishing. Not only will the start points be permanent additions to the map, but we'll add more of them to popular fishing areas throughout the game. Competitions will also be far more frequent, running every 20 minutes, and youíll be able to claim 2 tickets per day rather than just 10 per week.

We're adding a new 'big fish' feature to the game, too. Players will have to cooperate with each other to land these whoppers, but the XP rewards will make the extra effort worthwhile for all. So, get involved, and donít be koi! You donít want to be the cod one out.

We will also completely overhaul the nature (and size) of the potential rewards. The Fishing XP will be tweaked to reward fishers who find the best tackle combinations available. You'll also be able to earn a brand new set of fishing gear, similar to the lumberjack outfit and the golden mining gear. Each piece will improve all your earned Fishing XP while worn. We've also changed the tackle box reward to allow you to store raw fish, and are implementing a host of other cool features too.

Yelps is also getting involved with this update, as he temporarily renames his home 'The Squeal of Neptune', giving you a chance to catch some brand-new cosmetic fish-themed attire!

The Crucible - The Return of Bounty Hunter (Members Only)

Back in 2011, we removed the "Bounty" mechanic. For many of you, it was a style of PKing you preferred to the traditional Wilderness, and we promised we would bring it back. Well, it's back! And this time, it's better than ever...

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswikiimages/en/2012/6/crucible_thumb-01145426.jpg
Posted Image

The Crucible is a giant arena that players over combat level 60 can enter to do battle with like-minded opponents. Once inside, you'll be assigned another player as your target, resulting in some of the most dangerous, vicious, and potentially rewarding combat available in the game. If you're successful in your assignment then you will be given a grace period where you can't be attacked, allowing you to run away from the action, bank your loot and then leap back into the fray.

The entire area is based around solo play - so no multi-way combat - and combat can only be engaged between targets, so no rushing or PJing! Of course, you'll need to be very sure of your abilities, because - as with all dangerous PKing - the winner of each fight will gain ALL the drops from their opponent.

Players gain points through noble actions (e.g. not running away) and victories. These points can then be spent on unique death titles, and jingles to play to your slaughtered foes. The points are also used to determine a brand new feature to RuneScape - the Supreme Champion.

If you have a high ranking within a Crucible game, you'll have the chance to be temporarily elevated to the status of a Supreme Champion., You'll be rendered invincible for a whole minute, and will be given access to a raft of brand new weapons only to be used within the Crucible, so you can go on a mad, crazy rampage where you can slaughter anyone in your way. Harnessing the dark powers discovered by the Crucible's keepers, each weapon is suitable for different combat styles, with melee warriors claiming 'Annihilation', rangers wielding 'Decimation' and mages holding the mighty 'Obliteration' aloft. The Crucible's a cruel, capricious place, though, and your fellow PKers will be waiting for revenge when you're knocked from your lofty perch.

We're also relying on a new, special combat calculation to assign targets. This means your targets will be of an ability level that is equal or similar to your own, so skill and knowledge will rule the land.

Between kills, you'll also be able to loot corpses of long-dead warriors that are scattered around the area, providing brand new combat gloves; again, only to be worn within the Crucible. Powerful, and offering a healthy life point boost, weíre looking forward to seeing these gloves in use.

A new hiscore table, tracking kills, is being created with the update, so we'll soon know who the most powerful PKers are...officially!

Combat Beta (Members Only)

There's a huge amount of news, reveals, videos and general chatter about the combat rework, so I won't repeat it all here. Suffice to say that it's the biggest thing weíve ever tried to do and it has already had thousands of hours of development invested into it. If you want to check it out, the beta will be open to members only, and the combat beta contract item has been delivered to the inventory of every single account today (June 1st). If you want to help us to shape the future of the game, get involved! Itís not all about combat, either (despite the name), as it brings new action bars available for all players. Want to know what an action bar is? Sign up to the beta now! Keep reading the news updates and watching our videos to keep learning about the most exciting update of the year. Be sure to check out our new Combat HQ too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSNiEtIfTD8&hd=1&t=1m27s

Have fun!

Mod Mark
RuneScape Lead Designer

Discuss this here.

TEASER IMAGES

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7545/forums1s.jpg
Posted Image

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8314/forums2.jpg
Posted Image

http://i.imgur.com/h2CwF.jpg
Posted Image

http://i.imgur.com/g0ArW.jpg
Posted Image

http://i.imgur.com/eNhRI.jpg
Posted Image

Hidden Teaser Images

not sure what this is
http://www.runescape.com/img/main/downloads_and_media/downloads_and_wallpapers/media/screenshots/screenshots_28.jpg
Posted Image

looks like an updated black knights fortress
http://www.runescape.com/img/main/downloads_and_media/downloads_and_wallpapers/media/screenshots/screenshots_29.jpg
Posted Image

menaphos??? (note the agility obstacle)
http://www.runescape.com/img/main/downloads_and_media/downloads_and_wallpapers/media/screenshots/screenshots_30.jpg
Posted Image

updated goblins and goblin village
http://www.runescape.com/img/main/downloads_and_media/downloads_and_wallpapers/media/screenshots/screenshots_31.jpg
Posted Image
Edited by Darkstdragon, June 4 2012, 11:50 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stephen
Member Avatar
¨_¨

cool
I'm scared to get close, and I hate being alone
I long for the feeling to not feel at all
The higher I get, the lower I'll sink
I can't drown my demons, they know how to swim

Posted ImagePosted Image

Harmit
Member Avatar
Bocat.

Stephen
June 1 2012, 02:23 PM
cool
Posted Image

Jason

not enough to get me back playing rs
Posted Image

Tanner
Member Avatar
It's the boots.

its gnna ruin cw lol
Posted Image

Darkstdragon

a lot of news posts today, the cryptic clue fest is going on as well but ill try and make a thread for that once i can get the answers as well

Harmit
Member Avatar
Bocat.

beer team 26 cape pink afro or first clue ^
Edited by Harmit, June 1 2012, 03:35 PM.
Posted Image

Pika

cant wait

Darkstdragon

i wonder if this is what the beta is going to be like, where everyone is just in pvp with one another anywhere in rs. nonetheless im not sure if i like what i see in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSNiEtIfTD8&hd=1&t=1m27s

Venomspitta
Member Avatar
TRADE EVERYONE

Jason
June 1 2012, 03:09 PM
not enough to get me back playing rs
That prolly aint my baby i need Maury, im sorry
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · News · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Recently active topics:Topic starters: