Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jukebox UK Let It Be?
Topic Started: Aug 10 2018, 02:31 PM (211 Views)
Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just found this for a couple of quid. I remember a while back people here talking about Beatles UK singles that looked push-out but had no evidence at all of them ever having a pushout centre, and wondering whether they could be jukebox copies or not. I did try to find that particular thread but didn't have much luck.

Anyway, I found this recently and grabbed it for cheap. I can't feel anywhere that would suggest this ever had a pushout centre. What do you peeps think?

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1970grave
Level 2
[ *  * ]
I believe these are genuine Jukebox issues - made in very small quantities
all issues that have surfaced are from the late 60's, and they being
1. All You Need Is Love
2. Hey Jude
3. Get Back - 2 variations
4. Ballad Of John And Yoko
5. Something
6. Let It Be
Are they EMI pressed or Jukebox company pressed - debatable

However, some obscure apple singles appear from 29.Aug.1969 - early 1972, which i don't think would merit playtime on jukeboxes
1. Hare Krishna Mantra
2. Golden Slumbers - 2 variations
3. Everything's Alright
4. All That I've Got
5. Temma Harbour
6. How The Web was Woven
7. Govinda
8. Knock Knock Who's There
9. Think About Your Children
10. No Matter What
11. Caroline In My Mind
12. Try Some Buy Some
13. Day After day
Surprising omission in this run from Apple 15 to Apple 40 is Come And Get It on Apple 20 which would be one of the biggest hits of that run

Lennon had the following Jukebox issues of that time Jul 69-Nov 72
1. Give Peace A Chance
2. Cold Turkey
3. Instant karma
4. Power To The People
5. Happy Xmas

McCartney had the following Jukebox issues of the time Feb 71 -Oct 73
1. Another Day - 3 variations
2. Back Seat Of My Car
3. Live And Let Die
4. Helen Wheels
Band on the Run was a German/GB pressing Jukebox

Harrison had the following Jukebox issues of the time Jan 71
1. My Sweet Lord
I Beleive there may be a Bangla Desh Jukebox

Ringo had the following Jukebox issues Apr 71 - Mar 72
1. It Dont Come easy
2. Back Off Boogaloo
You're Sixteen was the french/GB issue Jukebox

Interestingly NO Beatles 1972 issues with polo rings have surfaced as Jukeboxes
It would be interesting to know if there are any other issues that have been omitted in the above list that would shine some light on the subject matter
One suggestion maybe that the SOLID versions are so easy to come by that drilling a hole in these would not be a risk as the price is so low for these singles
But it should be noted that the jukebox LARGE CENTRE HOLE mentioned above have not been drilled but PUNCHED
However, it's ODD that Jukeboxes do no surface for the more common apple SOLID issues before APPLE 15, such as
1. Those Were The days
2. Goodbye
3. That's the way God Planned It
Edited by 1970grave, Aug 10 2018, 03:44 PM.

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Very interesting! Are these well known or still pretty obscure? Do you have any yourself? What's the measurement of the hole on yours if you do?

1970grave
Level 2
[ *  * ]
All the singles I have mentioned are in my collection
I am unable to measure them at the moment and would be a nightmare to locate all of them
undoubtedly, i am sure other members should be able to add to this list with issues I have not mentioned

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yes probably made by a juke box supplier drilled from a standard solid centre, i once saw a AYNIL sell for several hundred and it nearly prompted me to invest in a juke box driller which you can find on ebay lol !!! Drill baby drill !

60s Child
Level 1
[ * ]
There is a copy of Imagine jukebox single listed on ebay at the moment [ 332759829745 ]

hey bulldog
Level 1
[ * ]
Hello i copy's of The Beatles jukebox presses mentioned except AYNIL .But i have two not mentioned Eleanor rigby and strawberry fields forever .ER is very crisply pressed were SFF is rough so i think ER is factory pressed and SFF is not ??

Garfield
Member Avatar
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
none of these are factory made, all dinked later. the only real jukebox singles are some 90s plastic moulded issues.

1970grave
Level 2
[ *  * ]
what proof do you have for that statement Garfield

Garfield
Member Avatar
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
that topic was discussed several times before, and always ended with same results. My question is, what proof exist that these were made by EMI in small quantities?

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Garfield
Aug 12 2018, 03:53 PM
that topic was discussed several times before, and always ended with same results. My question is, what proof exist that these were made by EMI in small quantities?
I did try and find the old topics here but couldn't find them.

namralos
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
See, for example
http://s10.zetaboards.com/BeatlesCollecting/topic/1187731/1/
Topic diverged after there was no evidence as to when/where copies were dinked.

1970grave
Level 2
[ *  * ]
and as i stated - this is open to debate (and has not ended in the same result - rather no one has offered any proof whatsoever to date)
what proof is there that EMI did issue JUKEBOX pressings between 1969-1972
and what proof is there that EMI did NOT
What proof is there that a JUKEBOX company punched larger holes from SOLID centre pressings
what proof is there that an individual(s) is punching larger holes to solid centre pressings
Some have commented with the use of the word 'DRILLED'
these are not drilled centres but PUNCHED - very crisply and neatley

Some singles during this period which had SOLID presses and have not surfaced as JUKBOX presses are
1. Give Ireland Back To The Irish
2. Mary had a Little Lamb
3. Those Were The Days
4. Sour Milk Sea
5. Road To Nowhere - debatable as it's quite rare
6. Imagine - although issued in '75 the jukebox issue maybe from '80 as there is a PYE JUKEBOX issue from '80 also
The first 3 I would assume would be easy to punch large holes to SOLID pressings - BUT THESE HAVE NOT SURFACED (To date) - Why?

If an individual(s) or JUKEBOX company were punching SOLID centres then why haven't the Beatles (easy to obtain) later SOLID pressings on Parlophone appeared with large holes in larger quantities
1. Yellow Submarine / Eleanor Rigby (although HEY BULLDOG says he has a copy of this)
2. Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields
3. Hello Goodbye
4. Lady Madonna
The above 4 which can be picked up for pennies would be easy to experiment punching larger holes and asking greater prices

Drilling larger holes i have seen on youtube - it does not give a crisp edge
I repeat these JUKEBOX issues are punched with very neat edges
Is it east to punch a SOLID centre issue without it cracking - I have no idea
has anyone tried
If there is a deluge of jukebox pressings on the 'unseen' issues mentioned above that appear on ebay over the next few months then there is a possibility that individual(s) are behind the 'so called' JUKEBOX pressings
If not then a 'serious' debate is still open

Edited by 1970grave, Aug 13 2018, 10:10 AM.

harveyw
Level 2
[ *  * ]
1970grave
Aug 13 2018, 10:05 AM
If an individual(s) or JUKEBOX company were punching SOLID centres then why haven't the Beatles (easy to obtain) later SOLID pressings on Parlophone appeared with large holes in larger quantities
1. Yellow Submarine / Eleanor Rigby (although HEY BULLDOG says he has a copy of this)
2. Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields
3. Hello Goodbye
4. Lady Madonna
The above 4 which can be picked up for pennies would be easy to experiment punching larger holes and asking greater prices

I assume these haven't appeared as large centre pressings because they were all also easily available as push-out centres. Why would a jukebox company go to the expense of "dinking" a solid centre when they could just buy a pushout centre copy?

I am of the opinion that these copies were nothing to do with EMI, they were simply customised by jukebox suppliers (or elsewhere: as a teenager my local record shop had a "dinker" to create large centre holes for records for jukebox owners). Even if they were created by EMI, I'd assume their supplemental value is minimal as it would be so easy to recreate one. Certainly, the copy of "Let It Be" pictured above has enough "swarf" around the edge to make me think that anyone could have done it.
Edited by harveyw, Aug 18 2018, 02:59 PM.

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have a copy of Apple 20, picked up for a couple of quid too! I didn't realize that there were so many Juke's out there. I'm of the opinion that they may not be official and, thus, will not dig deep into my pocket for them. So far I have, S/CT, GB, Apples 13, 20, 30 & 40, Another day, Boogaloo, Power, and BOTR

AH

Posted Image
Edited by admiral halsey, Aug 18 2018, 04:23 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Singles and EPs · Next Topic »
Add Reply