Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I wish people would read eBay descriptions...
Topic Started: Jun 26 2018, 10:47 AM (221 Views)
Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just had to offer a partial refund to someone who bought a record that had been visually graded only and was graded at VG- condition, listed as collection filler only and noted for having a fair amount of scuffs and marks. Apparently he didn't want to throw his money away on a record that 'isn't going to play'...

I can understand if the disc was absolutely trashed and I was selling it as immaculate, but if you're looking for a copy just to play, why go for the copies that're being sold more due to their rarity rather than their condition? Moreso on a copy that is advertised as having scuffs and marks!

Really annoys me...

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mike
Jun 26 2018, 10:47 AM
Just had to offer a partial refund to someone who bought a record that had been visually graded only and was graded at VG- condition, listed as collection filler only and noted for having a fair amount of scuffs and marks. Apparently he didn't want to throw his money away on a record that 'isn't going to play'...

I can understand if the disc was absolutely trashed and I was selling it as immaculate, but if you're looking for a copy just to play, why go for the copies that're being sold more due to their rarity rather than their condition? Moreso on a copy that is advertised as having scuffs and marks!

Really annoys me...

getting it all the time for sometime now Mike, i've placed loads of caveats now in my listing but i am bashing my head against the wall !!

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
This guy demanded a 75% refund and then before I could accept a return request (because sod that) they'd decided to immediately escalate a PayPal case, which automatically closed the eBay one and stopped me from accepting the return. The only way to accept a return after that was to choose that method on the PayPal case but then send a PP payment over to cover the return postage. That really irked me!

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That's just flat out abusive. I would say that 99% of the record people I have dealt with around the world have been somewhere on the spectrum between delightful and reasonable (even if it took some prodding). But man oh man does that 1% stand out in my mind.

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mike
Jun 28 2018, 01:02 PM
This guy demanded a 75% refund and then before I could accept a return request (because sod that) they'd decided to immediately escalate a PayPal case, which automatically closed the eBay one and stopped me from accepting the return. The only way to accept a return after that was to choose that method on the PayPal case but then send a PP payment over to cover the return postage. That really irked me!
Mike he is not allowed to ask for a partial, you can offer one but he is not allowed to ASK as that can be regarded as blackmail. Ebay take a dim view of this, hopefully paypal will also, & you can most certainly now report him to ebay for abuse of the returns system by asking for a partial, and that is the least he deserves, I would.
Edited by muffmasterh, Jun 28 2018, 08:51 PM.

RubberSoul21
Member Avatar
Level 2
[ *  * ]
I think some buyers seem to get excited and don't bother reading the text/information. Then complain. Sadly its expected that you will encounter some stressful sales sometime. Its all in the buyers favour and as long as eBay get their money they are happy never mind the seller though even though eBay has been around for 20 years they still haven't got it right yet.

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
RubberSoul21
Jun 29 2018, 07:24 AM
I think some buyers seem to get excited and don't bother reading the text/information. Then complain. Sadly its expected that you will encounter some stressful sales sometime. Its all in the buyers favour and as long as eBay get their money they are happy never mind the seller though even though eBay has been around for 20 years they still haven't got it right yet.
i understand that ebay want to make it a safe market place for buyers but i've been robbed by two buyers this year alone, one of which was in the end effectively criminal and ebay would not consider retro action. Basically ebay allowed somebody to keep an item/ refused to even help, when it turned up after the buyer had already got their money back.

yellowsubmariner
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
We have discussed this before but it's certainly getting worse. The guys on here who list on Ebay who grade visually make it very clear that the records are not played. How much clearer can you be. I had 5 out of the last 12 records I sold either sent back or the buyer demanding a partial refund despite me making the visual grading as clear as I could. The fact that Ebay is so skewed in favour of the buyer makes it extremely difficult for a level playing field to be achieved.

As a collector myself I am not interested in how a rare record I am buying sounds, I am more interested in how the vinyl and sleeve shape up as I will never play it however if the sound was crucial to me I would almost certainly never pay a lot of cash for a visually graded record.

Takes me back to the guy who bought a gold label mono PP Me from me for 550 and sent it back as it "crackled" in a few places.....infuriating!

RubberSoul21
Member Avatar
Level 2
[ *  * ]
yellowsubmariner
Jun 30 2018, 04:07 PM
We have discussed this before but it's certainly getting worse. The guys on here who list on Ebay who grade visually make it very clear that the records are not played. How much clearer can you be. I had 5 out of the last 12 records I sold either sent back or the buyer demanding a partial refund despite me making the visual grading as clear as I could. The fact that Ebay is so skewed in favour of the buyer makes it extremely difficult for a level playing field to be achieved.

As a collector myself I am not interested in how a rare record I am buying sounds, I am more interested in how the vinyl and sleeve shape up as I will never play it however if the sound was crucial to me I would almost certainly never pay a lot of cash for a visually graded record.

Takes me back to the guy who bought a gold label mono PP Me from me for 550 and sent it back as it "crackled" in a few places.....infuriating!
They paid 550 for a record and complained about playing crackled in places ??? haha why didn't they invest in a record cleaning machine then? You can never please everybody sadly.
I take it they didn't leave feedback? I never think a sale is complete till you receive the feedback.

yellowsubmariner
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
RubberSoul21
Jun 30 2018, 04:50 PM
yellowsubmariner
Jun 30 2018, 04:07 PM

They paid 550 for a record and complained about playing crackled in places ??? haha why didn't they invest in a record cleaning machine then? You can never please everybody sadly.
I take it they didn't leave feedback? I never think a sale is complete till you receive the feedback.
I had to accept it back unfortunately. Then it sold again for less.. I totally get that some people are buying rare records to listen to them but that was just messing around.

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
It infuriates me when people spend through the nose on a rare copy and then complains that it doesn't play as good as they'd like it to. I get if it's a rare record containing music that you can't hear anywhere else, but complaining about it on a gold PPM!? why spend half a grand on that when you can get the exact same audio experience buying the much cheaper yellow press? It's identical! The price is on the label!

Grrrr

yellowsubmariner
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's clear that some people want the best of both worlds, a visually stunning copy that also plays mint. It can happen as we know but I still would never pay a huge amount of cash for a piece of vinyl that has not been sound graded if that was important to me. Even at that, my turntable may/may not pick up things that yours does/doesn't!

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't have a record playeer. I mention it in big, bold letters at the top of every listing. I never intend to sell what I do for listening - I leave that to the sellers catering for the audiophiles. I go for the quirks, misprints and rarities that are not your normal stuff. The mispresses, the rare labels, the low-sellers-at-the-time etc etc. it's done me okay so far but then you get these people. And it's always the seller who ends up getting shafted financially because of this.

yellowsubmariner
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mike
Jul 5 2018, 01:35 PM
I don't have a record playeer. I mention it in big, bold letters at the top of every listing. I never intend to sell what I do for listening - I leave that to the sellers catering for the audiophiles. I go for the quirks, misprints and rarities that are not your normal stuff. The mispresses, the rare labels, the low-sellers-at-the-time etc etc. it's done me okay so far but then you get these people. And it's always the seller who ends up getting shafted financially because of this.
Correct. Ebay favours the buyer 100%.

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
They immediately opened a PayPal dispute, which automatically closed eBay's return and prevented me from accepting the return and issuing a returns label. Because of this it cost me a lot more to cover the return postage with no guarantee that they're even going to send it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Chit-Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply