Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Something new cpcs
Topic Started: Apr 13 2018, 06:14 PM (139 Views)
servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Holland pressed a very small number of CPCS Something new LPs, with either Made in Holland perimeter print or Vervaardigd in licentie print. I have had the Made in Holland version for some time and now found the other variant in really great condition, with the matching UK sleeve. The sound is great, this copy hasnít been played much and the vinyl grades EX+.
Even here in Holland, this record is very very hard to find. This one was sold in a batch of five LPs and I mailed the seller with a bid for this one without seeing the label. Luckily when it arrived it turned out to be the label variant I was lacking.
Probably this was sold in Holland at the time as well, not only as export version.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by servi, Apr 13 2018, 07:02 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow, that's quite a score. My sense is that the vervaardigd version is harder to find. That makes sense, since the label change was second half of 1967, when Something New had been out for 2+ years and presumably was a pretty slow seller.

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thatís indeed possible.
To be honest Iíve always doubted if this was truly for export. To which countries ? And why would it have a Dutch text saying that broadcasting is prohibited ? There arenít many Dutch speaking countries in the world. Just Belgium, but you never see this one in Belgium. Could it simply have been a pressing for domestic use ? It was advertised in Bovema catalogues according to Edís book.

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I never thought it was for export either. I've never seen it surface anywhere but Holland. I think it's similar to Beatles VI being issued domestically in New Zealand (using the UK export stampers, not US stampers).

Jae
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
As I've said before, it was EMI UK practice to Telex its subs on new titles and give the option of importing copies, manufacturing copies locally, or ignoring altogether (in certain circumstances). Any associated costs were borne by the subsidiary (ie cost of tape/mother/lacquer freight etc*).

It's clear to me that NZ decided to release it and decided that full local manufacture from UK supplied mothers would be the most cost effective. Australia, for example, obviously decided against the release altogether. Clearly, Holland decided to release it but import UK sleeves. Perhaps that was the more cost effective solution.

Other countries obviously decided to import the full package from the UK.

This isn't perhaps as clear with this album, but you see it in action with the much more popular Hey Jude! album, especially in the use of various catalogue numbers worldwide (some keep the CPCS number while others don't). The reason Australia doesn't use the CPCS number is that we actually imported our mothers from HMV NZ, not the UK.

*This was actually a big consideration. It wasn't just how much freight would cost, but what the ongoing local costs would me in creating parts etc and the ROI.

pinio65
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
From internet: Just when you thought you'd read of every variation known of this rare export album, up creeps another one! In The Netherlands, in 1965, this album was domestically pressed up in very, very limited quantities and sold in a UK sleeve. Until recently, that album was generally considered as the RAREST Dutch Beatles LP in existence. But.............................. While that LP had the wording Made In Holland in the perimeter rim text, as was usual for 1965 pressings, a NEW variation has recently been discovered! This is that mega rarity! In 1967, when the label lay-out of all Dutch manufactured Parlophone albums was slightly changed, the perimeter rim wording had been changed to omit the wording Made In Holland and replaced by a line that started with the wording Vervaardigd In Licensie.... In effect, all 1967 and later pressed Dutch Beatles records had this changed wording. To anybody's surprise, a 1967 pressing of this Something New album has been discovered, and THIS IS IT! While most Dutch Beatles collectors are still frantically searching for the 1965 pressing, this 1967 had never been heard of, until recently!! Imagine, if the first pressing is already near-impossible to find, how rare this baby is! So, what we have here is the 1967 Dutch LP housed in a UK Garrod + Lofthouse cover (with the flipbacks). No more than only a few hundred will have been pressed, as in 1967 very few people were interested in this old stuff, what with Sgt Pepper having recently been released, defining the 'new style Beatles'. I can safely state that this is indeed THE RAREST EVER DUTCH 1960's BEATLES ALBUM in existence!!
Matrix numbers are: YEEX 7-B12 (side 1) and YEEX 8-B12 (side 2). The cover, printed by Garrod + Lofthouse (UK flipback sleeve)

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Jae, and I definitely had your findings in mind as I wrote what I did -- I excluded the Peruvian issue of Something New from my example because IEMPSA received assistance (stampers and sleeve artwork) from US Capitol, not EMI UK.

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Pinio65, while this is probably on the short list of rarest Dutch LPs, there are some other worthy candidates, such as the Odeon Rubber Soul and Parlophone Yellow Submarine.

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Also the 2 label variants of this Something New LP have been known for a very long time. This is NOT a newly discovered variant as the internet text says. Edís book on the Dutch discography from 1996 already mentioned this, but it had been known before that there are 2 versions. The text is trying to boost a sale probably.

Socorro, I agree with those titles being the rarest Dutch LPs (excluding error pressings and experimental pressings). Other rare ones include the 5C coloured vinyl versions of Greatest (purple, orange, yellow, gold). The red label versions of PPM and RS are not very abundant either. The Shell LP would not be on that list imo, as it is quite easy to find (although it is always expensive).

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Some of the yellow Odeon and blue Odeon LPs are pretty hard to find also. I agree the purple, orange and yellow vinyl copies of the 5C Greatest are hard to find, but the gold vinyl copies are much more common, although not as common as the gold OMHS copies.

namralos
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That is an EXCELLENT find. Kudos!

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
socorro
Apr 15 2018, 08:59 PM
Some of the yellow Odeon and blue Odeon LPs are pretty hard to find also. I agree the purple, orange and yellow vinyl copies of the 5C Greatest are hard to find, but the gold vinyl copies are much more common, although not as common as the gold OMHS copies.
There is also a black vinyl version of the 5C release, but that one has little interest of collectors.
The remainder of Dutch releases is quite "boring" imo.
Edited by servi, Apr 16 2018, 06:56 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Your Little Gems! · Next Topic »
Add Reply