Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Iceland LP
Topic Started: Mar 10 2018, 12:36 PM (321 Views)
servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Untill recently I wasn’t aware that Iceland pressed (at least) three McCartney albums in the 1980s, on the Falkinn label. Probably only a few hundred copies were pressed since the country had less than 300,000 inhabitants then. I found “Pipes of peace” and am expecting “Tug of war” (will post pictures when it arrives). The label resembles the UK label a lot, but has a Falkinn logo and “hlid 1” or “hlid2”.

As far as I know there are no Beatles LPs from Iceland (at least I never saw one), but it is still possible that a 1980s Beatles compilation exists on Falkinn, e.g. a record like Reel music or 20 Greatest hits. A google search found a 1965 advertisement for Rubber Soul by Falkinn, most probably for UK-pressed copies of this LP.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by servi, Mar 10 2018, 03:10 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Morgunblađiđ (Iceland) , December 8th 1965

Posted Image

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Macca LPs are an impressive discovery. It would be amazing if an Icelandic Beatles pressing surfaced, even if it were one of the later compilations.

1970grave
Level 2
[ *  * ]
excellent find Sevi
never heard of these before
and great to have the 'manufactured in UK' text written on
would like the three you mentioned in my collection - on the hunt again

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Another copy of Pipes of peace is still available on discogs, although a bit expensive: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/7522458?ev=rb
I still have not received Tug of War, but will post a picture when I get it.
There also is an Icelandic cassette release of Tug of war (but I am not collecting these): https://www.discogs.com/Paul-McCartney-Tug-Of-War/release/11634693

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here’s the Iceland Tug of War.

Posted Image

Posted Image

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Really superb finds. A friend is putting together a Nordic Beatles discography, which will include any relevant info about Iceland, and I'll mention this to him.

Jae
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
Socorro, if your friend needs any assistance with EMI documents and the like, I'm happy to help...

I actually don't have Iceland on my spreadsheet, so, after a quick bit of research (about five minutes worth actually; haven't checked my own notes yet), I offer:

- Falkinn (located at Reykjovik) were EMI's Finnish distributors since 1931 and thus most likely earlier for one of the individual companies (Falkinn was established in mid-1920s). Haraldur Olafsson was the boss by the 1960s.
- In cohorts with Icelandic Recordings they opened a pressing plant in late 1980. At that stage Falkinn was releasing 10 albums annually (around 20-25% of the market), mostly imported from the US. Sales were generally between 4,000 and 10,000 copies. Keep in mind that Falkinn was also distributor for other international labels, like Polydor, so these are not just EMI or Beatles stats.
- Shut down in 1985.

Adding this and anything else I find to my spreadsheet now...
Edited by Jae, Mar 14 2018, 11:33 PM.

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
"''Between 1981 and 1984 there was implied a 85% luxury tax on vinyl imports in Iceland, which forced 3 Icelandic companies to start pressing vinyl in Iceland: labels Steinar, Fálkinn and Spor. The pressing company was named Alfa, and most covers were printed in Prisma, both of which are located in Hafnarfjörđur, Iceland. These were not big pressings, approximately between 250 to 500 copies for each title. " See: https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Houses-Of-The-Holy/release/7455321

On discogs I noticed smooth labels (like Tug of war, probably from Alfa) and labels with a ring (like Press to play, possibly from another plant ?). Or would there be one plant ? There are a lot of earliers Iceland pressings (pre-1980) so there were other plants than Falkinn/ Alfa.
Concerning covers: the McCartney LPs have UK covers.
Edited by servi, Mar 15 2018, 06:15 PM.

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sure seems like Reel Music and 20 Greatest Hits (both released in 1982) would have been natural choices to press domestically. Unless the thinking was that everybody already had all the songs.

Jae
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
servi
Mar 15 2018, 12:29 PM
"''Between 1981 and 1984 there was implied a 85% luxury tax on vinyl imports in Iceland, which forced 3 Icelandic companies to start pressing vinyl in Iceland: labels Steinar, Fálkinn and Spor. The pressing company was named Alfa, and most covers were printed in Prisma, both of which are located in Hafnarfjörđur, Iceland. These were not big pressings, approximately between 250 to 500 copies for each title. " See: https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Houses-Of-The-Holy/release/7455321

On discogs I noticed smooth labels (like Tug of war, probably from Alfa) and labels with a ring (like Press to play, possibly from another plant ?). Or would there be one plant ? There are a lot of earliers Iceland pressings (pre-1980) so there were other plants than Falkinn/ Alfa.
Concerning covers: the McCartney LPs have UK covers.
I'm going with this for now, from Oct 1979...

Posted Image

I can only find one reference to Iceland in my EMI documents so far - a 1980 reference but it pretty much means nothing.
Edited by Jae, Mar 15 2018, 10:49 PM.

Jae
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
Seems Alfa only existed between 1980 and 1983. Given Falkinn existed until 1986, not sure what happened for releases between 1983 and 1986.
Edited by Jae, Mar 15 2018, 11:14 PM.

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Another Beatles-related release from Iceland: Gone Troppo on the Steinar label !

Posted Image
Edited by servi, Mar 16 2018, 08:41 AM.

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
socorro
Mar 15 2018, 07:54 PM
Sure seems like Reel Music and 20 Greatest Hits (both released in 1982) would have been natural choices to press domestically. Unless the thinking was that everybody already had all the songs.
If they decided to release Gone troppo, then a Beatles greatest hits album indeed is possible (with maybe 20 times more expectable sales numbers than this Harrison LP).
Edited by servi, Mar 16 2018, 08:11 AM.

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Jae
Mar 15 2018, 11:11 PM
Seems Alfa only existed between 1980 and 1983. Given Falkinn existed until 1986, not sure what happened for releases between 1983 and 1986.
Who pressed before the Falkinn-Iceland Recordings deal from 1980, e.g. Björk’s first album from 1977 is on Falkinn...
Edited by servi, Mar 16 2018, 01:27 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Your Little Gems! · Next Topic »
Add Reply