Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ebays (creeping) Global Shipping Program - Rant
Topic Started: Jan 7 2018, 06:23 AM (146 Views)
beeb
Level 2
[ *  * ]
I mostly purchase items from within Canada or from the USA or UK. Over the past few years I have noticed sellers increasingly using eBay's Global Shipping Program. Currently, I would say that 50% of items that originate from the USA that I have some interest in are using this program. This is a far greater number than just a year ago. I have also noticed an increasing number of UK listings also using the Global Shipping Program - I hope that doesn't increase as well but I am sure Ebay is pushing this program on sellers.

To date I just pass on these items as eBay charges an excessive shipping premium to buyers who purchase through this Program. For example a 45 RPM can be shipped to me in Canada from the USA by USPS for around $9. The same 45 shipped through the Global Shipping Program is usually around $17. On top of this eBay collects "duties" but the amount is not shown until after an item is won or bought and you are paying. Often these duties can be negated by using the regular postal system.

Several times I have contacted sellers in the USA to let them know that I am interested in their item but will not be bidding because of the excessive charges of eBay's Global Shipping. The sellers are usually taken back by the amount eBay is charging me the buyer as they do not see the amount.

Based on my experience I believe that sellers who use eBay's Global Shipping Program are losing out on $$$ as this program dissuades "out of country" bidders and buyers. Less buyers = less money.

On the positive side few top tier vinyl sellers use eBay's shipping program - that tells you something!

I wish this program would implode, but it looks like it is creeping into more and more listings.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Mmm, I just bought an LP that was shipped from UK to Holland using GSP and the postage was 8 pounds, which is cheaper than what some sellers ask. Actually I have no bad experience with GPS, maybe only that it seems to take a little more time.

What bothers me much more are the insane postage costs that the postal companies charge. Some have doubled compared to ten years ago, especially in Holland where I live. This makes selling outside Europe nearly impossible (an LP to the US is over 20 euro). I stopped all of my selling activities because of this.
When buying an LP from the US the postage is around $24. When the record enters my country, the customs count both postage costs and value of the item and calculate 21% import taxes over that amount. Yes, we pay tax for the postage costs aa well. The postal company collects that 21% for the customs when delivering the item and may even charge an additional 17.50 for ďadministrative costsĒ. Needless to say I hardly buy from outside the European Union these days (buying from the UK also will be terribly expensive in the future).

Another thing I donít understand: yesterday I received an LP from Germany. Postage was only 3.70 euro. Postage within my country starts at 6.95. To Germany the cheapest possibility is 9.80 !!
The good thing however is their service, even delivering until 21.00 in the evening when most people are at home.

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The price that GSP charge is based on the dimensions the seller puts in when they're listing an item. If they're listing an item with a big size or weight then it's going to over-inflate the postage cost.

The price also includes eBay handling and full tracking and confirmation of delivery when when eBay receives it to when it gets delivered. If anything happens to the parcel whilst it's in eBay's care then they cover any refund.

I can see why sellers use it as it's a huge convenience, reduces their responsibility and expands their potential customer base.

bruno
Member Avatar
Level 2
[ *  * ]
"The price also includes eBay handling and full tracking and confirmation of delivery when when eBay receives it to when it gets delivered. If anything happens to the parcel whilst it's in eBay's care then they cover any refund.

I can see why sellers use it as it's a huge convenience, reduces their responsibility and expands their potential customer base."

I know many buyers can't stand the GPS program. I can assure you as a regular seller, I have NEVER been persuaded by Ebay to use it. Too many Beatles records getting " lost" in Europe has been enough for me. The exact reasons above are why I use it.....This crap where my records "get lost in the mail" has not happened once since I started using GSP about 2 years ago.

I do have some regular buyers from overseas and I do ship to them directly after establishing a buyer/seller relationship. Sadly ,too much fraud by unscrupulous buyers is exactly what caused the GSP to gain more and more users.

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Like I say - from a sellers point of view I can see why they use it. However, from a buyer's point of view it's a different story. I've bought two records using the GSP system - both from America. The first time it took weeks to arrive and the second time they put the full value on the customs and listed it as a product and not a gift, so I got a £16 customs charge slapped on top.

beeb
Level 2
[ *  * ]
I guess it depends where you live, where the item is shipped from and the value of the item. For selling high value items eBays Global System probably makes sense as the shipping cost relative to the items cost is a small percentage.

As a buyer it really doesn't make sense to buy a lower cost item and pay for the shipping charged by eBay's GSP. I think in this scenario the seller who is selling a lower priced item and uses the GSP is missing out on customers.

From my personal situation living in Canada with most of my International dealings with the USA and the UK the GSP it leaves a lot to be desired. It would be nice if eBay would let sellers and buyers choose from a number of shipping options. However eBay makes a lot of money from their Shipping Program so they steer sellers in that direction and will not let sellers opt out until the listing ends.

Thank you

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mike,Jan 8 2018
12:53 PM
Like I say - from a sellers point of view I can see why they use it. However, from a buyer's point of view it's a different story. I've bought two records using the GSP system - both from America. The first time it took weeks to arrive and the second time they put the full value on the customs and listed it as a product and not a gift, so I got a £16 customs charge slapped on top.

this is the biggest prob with GSP by far imho ....

does anybody else wish seller hub would also go away ?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Chit-Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply