Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Lennon Happy Xmas Usa White Label Apple Promo 45
Topic Started: Jan 5 2018, 05:52 AM (117 Views)
beeb
Level 2
[ *  * ]
Two questions about S45X-47663 and S45X-47664

Was this a legitimate release?

Are there counterfeits around?

Thank you
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

namralos
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes, and yes.

Supposedly John ordered up some advanced promotional copies himself. These were not pressed by Capitol, but if you look in the matrix you'll find that the matrix numbers appear in the same handwriting as on the commercial release. Bell Sound stamp appears in the matrix. This pressing is on Styrene, not vinyl.

Copies that don't have the matrix correct are counterfeits.

In an unusual twist, these are not the scarcest of the "Happy Xmas" singles, but they are the highest-valued. Copies on the orange Capitol label are actually tougher to find.

beeb
Level 2
[ *  * ]
Thank you for that helpful information. Looking at a number of these over the years I have noticed some copies with the black text well centered on the white label and copies where the text is not centered well with the song title cut off by the hole and the top edge of the large text "Apple" cut off at the edge of the label. Does the latter (off center label) indicate a counterfeit?

I have included an image of the off-center label below.

Happy Xmas

namralos
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What a fine moral dilemma for me! That's the one I am bidding on on eBay.

No, it's not a fake, and good luck to you if you bid on it. I'm a "cheapie" who is always looking for a bargain, and right now that copy is at a bargain price.

namralos
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow. That just jumped up over $100 rapidly, didn't it?

Edit: I mean "jumped up over $175."

Edit #2: I mean "jumped up over $200."

beeb
Level 2
[ *  * ]
Thanks for your honesty. This is not an item I want badly so I will be placing a "hope and a wish" bid. Good luck. Thank you.

Michael

namralos
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, I'm always honest.
Someone wrote to me once with a copy of Introducing the Beatles that every dealer he had ever met told him was fake. At that time, there were only three known genuine copies. His was the fourth, and I told him what they were selling for. It made the guy's day. I hope he got over $5000 for it, but after I told him what they sold for, I couldn't afford to buy it!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Singles and EPs · Next Topic »
Add Reply