Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Uruguay - Ye Ye Ye - Promo Or Test Pressing?
Topic Started: Dec 6 2017, 10:40 PM (388 Views)
socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's one that I coveted the second I saw it on ebay, and after a couple of months the seller dropped the price to my neighborhood.

It's a copy of Ye Ye Ye (AHDN) from Uruguay. The seller told me he bought it when a radio station in Montevideo was liquidating old stock.

In light of an earlier discussion of the white unverkaufliche musterplatte LPs from Germany, I am reserving judgment whether it was a promo copy or a test copy. Let's take a look.

Label A:

Posted Image

Label B:

Posted Image

Things that suggest a promo copy:

1. The sticker on side A says "disco para difusion" which roughly translates as "promotional record."
2. It was found at a radio station. The "A Arch" sticker probably refers to the station's internal filing system.

Things that suggest a test pressing:

1. The lack of song titles on the labels. You probably would want the DJ to be able to know the songs being promoted. It's possible that the titles on the sleeve would do the trick, but that's not a satisfying answer. I'm not troubled by the typed information. Uruguay is a small country, and I doubt it had lots of radio stations that played popular music from the UK in 1964. I've seen other radio station copies with fairly crude labels.

Things that are ambiguous:

1. The sticker with the date on it. It looks like it might have a radio station name and call sign stamped on it, in which case the date probably refers to when the station received it. The strange part is that the date (November 11, 1964) would be on the late side for a promo copy. On the other hand, if it's a test pressing, why would it have so late a date? And why use a sticker that looks like it has the call sign and name of a radio station?

The sleeve is probably from 1967, which suggests it replaced an earlier (plain?) sleeve.
You can tell this because it has the side-by-side logo, and because it advertises a Richard Anthony LP with a catalog number (URL 2121) later than Sgt. Pepper (URL 2115).

The front sleeve is one of many variations of the red & grey temporary sleeve. This one is distinctive because the horizontal line separating the names does not go to the right and left edges.

Posted Image

The rear sleeve is the usual utilitarian affair, with the song titles and ads for other LPs. Note that it uses the track list from the United Artists soundtrack LP, not the regular UK LP.

Posted Image

Any ideas or insights about this odd item are welcome.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jae
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
The radio station sticker is for CX50 Independencia 1530 AM, which was located in Montevideo and closed in 2007. So the story adds up.

Will be a sample/promo copy, not a test pressing. Test pressings were not for public distribution/broadcast etc.

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow, Jae. I'm amazed you were able to pull that together. Where did you find the info?

Jae
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
I just googled "cx50 radio uruguay" and worked from there.

pinio65
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sleeve from 1967 or 1968. Label from 1964.

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
pinio65,Dec 7 2017
12:37 PM
Sleeve from 1967 or 1968. Label from 1964.

I think that's right.

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Socorro, are you 100% convinced that this is genuine ?

It's the first time I see a special promo (?) label from Uruguay, but that doesn't say much of course. All others have a commercial label with a stamp "Muestra Invendible".

If they prepared a special promo label, why did they need an extra sticker to put on it ? They could have printed the information directly onto the label. Another thing you would want as a record company is that the DJ knows what songs he is playing and which is side 1 and which is side 2. This information is lacking (only the matrix number indicate side, but that is obvious to us because we study these things. Moreover "URL" is lacking). As you say, sleeve and record may not match either. The rim print on the label isn't very sharp, the rim text is different from 1964 LPs and seems to be from a later era. (The "Fabricado" part in particular and the lack of "Larga Duracion", still it has the old style Odeon logo). The date on the sticker makes no sense at all to me.

Sorry to be sceptical, but from the pictures I would really doubt if this is real. The stains, the damaged stickers (often a combination of typed, printed and handwritten stickers, always with damage) and the typed labels are very reminiscent of the SA fakes....imo it feels as if they wanted this to look like a "really old LP". The stains in particular look like those on fake acetates. The stains on the stickers and the label or not "continuous". Why would they type labels for records that were sent to radio stations ? It now more or less is a combination of a promo and a test pressing as you say, that doesn't make sense. Honestly, I hope this is not another gabybutti product.

But maybe I would be convinced if I held it in my hands, pictures are just pictures !

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Another reason why I think this is fake: a radio station sticker must have been added after the record was pressed. Still the center hole is perfectly cut out on the sticker (as if the sticker was already on the label when the record was pressed). Nobody would deliberately put a sticker over the center hole. In fact, what is the use of the radio station sticker at all ? It's on side only, hard to read and serves no purpose. You would expect a sticker denoting an internal number or something..
But who knows, maybe this is simply genuine.

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm not 100% convinced, but Jae's information gives me some reassurance.

I was curious abut the placement of the sticker over the spindle too. There seems to be no reason for it, but people do stupid stuff out of carelessness or malice all the time. It wouldn't shock me if a receiving clerk decided to do it as an FU (to the Beatles/his boss/the DJs) because of some forgotten annoyance from half a century ago.

The sticker was definitely put there AFTER it was made. On the other side you can see a bit of the blue stripes where the sticker was pushed through by the spindle. The hole looks very smooth, but nonetheless it sure seems like it was made by the spindle and not by the pressing machine (which, as you note, would suggest the sticker was there before the LP was pressed, which would not be too plausible).

As for the purpose of the sticker, it is not unusual for companies to make note of when things are received. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it with records though.

The fact that the layout and rim text is different from the commercial labels does not trouble me.

The messy inking raises the possibility it was deliberately done to mask the appearance of digital printing. I'll take a look under magnification when I get home.

The residue where a small corner of the promo sticker is missing appears to be aged.

The pressing marks look like those on other Beatles LPs of the period. The label definitely does not look to be glued on.

I've checked the seller's current and ended listings and this is the only similar label. This seems like it would be enough work to fake that it hardly seems worth the trouble to do a one-off.

Believe me, Servi, I share some of your questions. A big piece of the value proposition was getting a temporary sleeve I lacked, in nice condition, precisely because of my uncertainty about the disc.

For me, the most compelling proof will be what happens in the future. If the seller starts offering more high-interest LPs with the same label style, that would be a very suspicious turn.

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Good points ! Thnaks for the info. Maybe we should consider that this is genuine until proven otherwise..
Maybe the date reads 1969 instead of 1964 and it is a later copy?

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
See a similar single here. It has the same stickers and the same label and an additional "Muestra" stamp:
http://www.45cat.com/record/dtoae3495uy
If the date is 1969 instead of 1964 it would fit with the perimeter print.
Apparentely this is in the Admiral's collection according to 45cat....

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That certainly solves the typesetting mystery -- it is the same layout as the single label circa 1964.

Let's see if the Admiral can shed some light.

Jae
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
I found these... Same seller?
http://www.rootsvinylguide.com/ebay_items/...y-copy-known-lp
https://www.popsike.com/php/m-detaildata.ph...nr=281418416102
https://www.popsike.com/php/m-detaildata.ph...nr=271528992452

Jae
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
And others from the same seller...
http://www.rootsvinylguide.com/ebay_items/...-7-white-lbl-ep
http://www.rootsvinylguide.com/ebay_items/...-1970-nice-copy

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Would that be good news or bad news ?
Over $3,500 for these 5 records......

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Albums · Next Topic »
Add Reply