Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Xmas Discs Reissue Box Set
Topic Started: Nov 2 2017, 10:14 PM (717 Views)
admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just pre ordered Xmas discs box set from what records. Apparently very limited.

AH
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What Records seems to be the cheapest (or least expensive) at the moment. Still in doubt whether to buy this or not, but probably will buy it.
What about the 2 Sgt Pepper releases ?

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
As my son pointed out to me last night, most of us have only listened to these on flexi's. I'm assuming that these are Apple "re-masters". I've always said that I would prefer to buy Apple/EMI sanctioned product than bootlegs. This is a way overdue re-issue, and a much cheaper alternative to the original flexi discs, which should make them more accessible to Beatles fans throughout the world.

As for Pepper, I will put the picture disc on my Xmas list!

AH

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well that is the big question: do the master tapes still exist and if so, does Apple or EMI have them? Or did they use second generation copies from an analog source for this new box?
If these are from the original tapes that would be sensational, if not then there is plenty of bootlegs with good quality recordings of this. I think they would have hyped it more if these were made using the original tapes (and also a CD release would be expectable then).

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
No mention of re-mastering here........

AH
http://www.thebeatles.com/news/we-are-ring...eatles-releases

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Still in doubt whether to pay 11 euro per single, some single-sided....
I have the UK LP which sounds OK for the one time a year that I play it (and it wasn't sourced from the original tapes IIRC).
It feels like it's 1978 again: Macca releases 8 coloured LP's, Beatles release a picture disc. Only the prices are not from 1978.

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
servi,Nov 3 2017
02:36 PM
Well that is the big question: do the master tapes still exist and if so, does Apple or EMI have them? Or did they use second generation copies from an analog source for this new box?
If these are from the original tapes that would be sensational, if not then there is plenty of bootlegs with good quality recordings of this. I think they would have hyped it more if these were made using the original tapes (and also a CD release would be expectable then).

Didn't George Martin source the master tapes as part of the Anthology project?

AH

fab4
Level 1
[ * ]
When the decision to end the Beatles Fan Club was made. Freda Kelly suggested they should make a compilation. Lp of the Christmas Flexis as a parting gift to the fans. As it happened EMI nor Apple had kept the original source tapes so Freda gave Peter Brown her collection of Flexis. Peter Brown made a tape from those Flexis and that was used to make the Christmas Album "From Then To You". Freda told me this as I was researching a tape I have which may in fact be that tape. So I suspect the source for the new releases is s set of very good original Flexis or the compilation Lp

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Interesting ! How did you get this tape ? Does it have a box as well (if so, are there any markings) ?
So the question is what sounds better: a needledrop from the LP that was made from a second generation tape, or a flexi disc made from the original master ?
Probably they de-clicked and de-noised the recordings for this new box, but the sound quality may not be sufficient for CD, who knows ?
I finally decided to buy the box !

fab4
Level 1
[ * ]
This tape was in a large collection of items I purchased in 1985. The collection had a bunch of 7" and 12" Apple acetates, Apple Records memorabilia, photographs, flyers and some amazing studio reel to reel tapes. I've spent a considerable amount of time authenticating the tapes and I'm 100% certain the tapes are genuine. Most of the tapes are in boxes with Trident Studio labels and I also have 3 nagra tapes from the 1969 Get Back recording sessions. The Freda tape I discovered much later in the process. There was no box and it's a BASF tape and on the label it's printed."Six Flexis for Freda Kelly". When I contacted Freda I sent her a pic of the tape. She doesn't / didn't remember ever receiving that tape but told me the story about Peter Brown recording her Flexis to make the Christmas Album. As far as quality goes I bet with all the electronic wizard available today either source could be used to create a pretty decent vinyl record.

If I knew how to link a photo to a posting I'd post a pic of the tape collection. The nagra tapes are pretty cool and one is the first part of the roof top concert.

1970grave
Level 2
[ *  * ]
i'd agree that music technology has advanced so much.
even the worst sounding and out of tempo recordings can all be remastered to bring to life
Anthology singles would be a good example and that was 20 odd years ago.
I know that Jimmy Page frequents car boot sales and record fairs to find Zeppelin bootlegs - buys them if rare - takes home - re-masters - packages in great artwork and sells for a very handsome profit.
Although the Christmas box set is; in my opinion; a good addition to a completists collection the December release of Sgt. Pepper 'AGAIN' in single disc format of the Giles Martin production is another embarrassing cash in - even the picture disc has little merit.
If these are good sellers and make a little profit - and they should as they are not recouping production cost, art work cost etc as they were all done 50 years ago, then expect to see coloured vinyls of all beatles albums accompanied by picture discs and any other format that they can get away with.
In closing, and as stated, music technology today can clean up the most dreadful sound recordings - and this leaves Apple Corps little excuse to spend the profits from all these unwarranted releases of latter years to dig into their achieves, do a little work, and rework and master great unreleased songs such as: Sour Milk Sea, watching rainbows, Now and Then, Love me Do 1969, Madman, Palace of King and Birds, Child of nature, Circles, Dehra Dun, The Walk, All Things Must Pass 1969, Not Guilty, Goodbye and many more including a handful off the Black Album - to name but a few
So - get ready for Giles Martin's 50th Anniversary White Album next year followed by a White Vinyl release and picture disc for the christmas market then followed the next year by Abbey Road bla bla bla - The future bleak - the future wants your money

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Agree, 1970. The single LP version of Pepper is redundant, especially given the retail price. I still "had" to buy it though.
See what Dylan gives his fans (one box set with unique outtakes after the other). The Beatles could easily do an Anthology 4 with some of the tracks you mention. Not to mention, the best of the Let it be outtakes with a DVD..

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
1970grave,Nov 8 2017
10:30 AM
So - get ready for Giles Martin's 50th Anniversary White Album next year followed by a White Vinyl release and picture disc for the christmas market

That would be a joke: first a white vinyl version of the White Album, followed half a year later a picture disc version depicting the sleeve :D
And of course first the stereo and then a stereo remix "as if it was mono" (the argument used for Sgt Pepper).

AurelianDE
Level 2
[ *  * ]
Quote:

...- the future wants your money

And quickly, yes. The baby boomer first generation fans are in their sixties now, so let's relieve them of some cash before they pass away and flood the market with their own collections ...

This is where it stops for me. That single-disc SP is an insult. And who needs another picture disc? Everybody knows what the cover of Sgt. Pepper looks like and it is quite superfluous to buy another PD the only difference to the earlier version of which is the remastered stereo contents -- which you will never listen to anyway.

BTW, does anybody know details about PD production? I gather from a hint in the magazine MINT that they don't use clear viny as the outer layer of the disc but some sort of plastic film which results in reduced groove depth and may account for the mediocre sound quality of picture discs. I'm not sure because I find that sound quality varies considerably, but I haven't done any one-on-one tests with ordinary vinyl versions. (Maybe this should be in a separate thread.)

PS.: In addition to -- and even before -- the things 1970grave mentioned, I'd suggest they do a remix of Revolver from the original 4-tracks. Eleanor and Submarine (in the YS Songtrack) were just amazing, and musically speaking, Revolver is the album that deserves 1st class treatment most of all.

fab4: Amazing! Congratulations!

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Fab4: That is an amazing collection you scored so many decades back.

If you wish, I (and many others I imagine) would be happy to walk you through the process for posting pictures here.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Beatle News · Next Topic »
Add Reply