Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Photobucket Links Dead
Topic Started: Jun 30 2017, 09:50 PM (598 Views)
socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi all, I'm not sure where to post this, but I am truly bummed that Photobucket just yanked the rug out from under all of its users.

If you want to be able to post pictures to third party sites (such as this forum) you now need to pay $399 per year.

I could see trying to wean users off a free, ad-based model. This is an extortionate way to do it though. It was done with absolutely no notice, so there is no means to migrate my stuff to another service without a huge gap. Unless I pay an amount that seems truly excessive.

Unless the many members here who use Photobucket decide to pony up, or migrate their photos and update the links, the old threads will be text only.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
My photobucket still works fine. Still able to copy the link from their site to show a picture on this thread....

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I wonder if this is somehow a US-only thing.

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
No, it's UK too. Where I work we sell things on eBay and used Photobucket for over 5 years to host the images used on our listing templates. Now Photobucket have done this, meaning I now need to go and manually edit over 2,500 listings to remove the broken links and replace them.

Absolutely disgusting.

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mike,Jul 2 2017
07:09 AM
No, it's UK too. Where I work we sell things on eBay and used Photobucket for over 5 years to host the images used on our listing templates. Now Photobucket have done this, meaning I now need to go and manually edit over 2,500 listings to remove the broken links and replace them.

Absolutely disgusting.

i get regularly frustrated with photobucket ( last night it was down again ), but i did sign up for an account a few years back cos i reached my free limit so now i pay ( not 399 though ) and my stuff still seems to be ok.

you can try imgur Mike...

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I CAN NOW CONFIRM photobucket have stopped me posting links to 3rd party sites. They haven't yet removed my old links, as soon as they do i will cancel my subs.

As for new images, i suggest we all move to another file share site such as imgur which is what i have gone back to this evening.

You are right Mike, not only are photobucket a useless bunch at the best of times, now they are a f*ck*ng bunch of t*ssp*t money bagging c u next tuesdays !

W*nkers

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
There's been such a huge backlash against them (understandably so!). What they did was suddenly change the T&C without any prior warning that they were going to do this, and then slap a $399 ransom onto every user to get their photos back. They even blocked all 3rd party hosting for paid accounts, as you have found out, Henry!

As many people have pointed out, it's pretty much ransomware. They've seen the recent spate of attacks and must have thought "Now *that* is a good business model!"

All they had to do was give users 2 months or so warning and then introduce a scheme where they charged something like $4.99 a month - most people would have been happy to pay, mostly for the convenience. Now they've pissed off all of their customers and completely destroyed their credibility.

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mike,Jul 3 2017
11:48 AM
There's been such a huge backlash against them (understandably so!). What they did was suddenly change the T&C without any prior warning that they were going to do this, and then slap a $399 ransom onto every user to get their photos back. They even blocked all 3rd party hosting for paid accounts, as you have found out, Henry!

As many people have pointed out, it's pretty much ransomware. They've seen the recent spate of attacks and must have thought "Now *that* is a good business model!"

All they had to do was give users 2 months or so warning and then introduce a scheme where they charged something like $4.99 a month - most people would have been happy to pay, mostly for the convenience. Now they've pissed off all of their customers and completely destroyed their credibility.

like i say so far my old links still work but the second they go off my involvement with sickbucket will cease and i hope they go to hell in a hand job

just found out imgur can edit pics and add text using same software as sickbucket, very useful.

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Imgur is a good place for simple image hosting - I used to use them back when I was originally selling off my whole collection. Unfortunately eBay now won't allow Imgur images to be hotlinked to any eBay listing.

So I use www.ebayphotogallery.com these days - if you know how to get a direct image link from their gallery they support images up to 1000 pixels wide, which is more than plenty. I've not had a problem with broken images. Touch wood.

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mike,Jul 4 2017
03:00 PM
Imgur is a good place for simple image hosting - I used to use them back when I was originally selling off my whole collection. Unfortunately eBay now won't allow Imgur images to be hotlinked to any eBay listing.

So I use www.ebayphotogallery.com these days - if you know how to get a direct image link from their gallery they support images up to 1000 pixels wide, which is more than plenty. I've not had a problem with broken images. Touch wood.

Mike my Imgur's links seem to work ok on my ebay listings ...

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Weird, maybe they retracted it. I just remember there being a big hoo-haa about it soon after I had gone through my big stuff. I vaguely remember it's because they viewed Imgur as an unsafe image hoster, or something like that. I can't remember the details unfortunately.

But like I say, eBayphotogallery does the job fine for me.

Mike
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://finestdesign.co.uk/imgur-com-no-lon...-ebay-listings/ is what I'm thinking of.

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mike,Jul 5 2017
08:08 AM

thats interesting Mike, my imgur seem to work fine on ebay until they go live for some reason, although i will have to double check this.

Is there another file share site we can use that does allow links to ebay ??

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ps Mike i had a look at that ebayphotogallery site you mentioned, i had just assumed that it was something to do with ebay but now i see its not so i will be giving it a try thks !!!

pps the imgur pictures defo work when you are doing the listing but once its done then they go off, thats really weird and no wonder i thought imgur was ok, I mean they even work on the preview your listing function, how annoying is that, how the hell are your supposed to work that one out !!!

RubberSoul21
Member Avatar
Level 2
[ *  * ]
What a bummer i will be adding some items in the future with links i did notice that they had changed the look of the site a little now they just getting greedy
I found this site with image hosting sites i dont know if any use as haven't tried as yet.
https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hosting-sites-3486329

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Problems With the Site / Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply