Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Seller Asking For An Extra 5 Postage
Topic Started: Mar 15 2016, 01:26 PM (613 Views)
voxish
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
Just bought a MFSL White Album for 44.25 but the seller is asking for extra postage.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311561234292?_tr...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's clear on the description that he wants to send it (I assume) by SD so fair enough but it's a bit cheeky.

This is what he sent:

"On our description of this Album , we state , that we will only send this Album Tracked and Signed for. Ebay have sent an invoice with 3.50 postage to you . Would be prepared to pay another 5.00 towards postage , if we send you an invoice for the extra postage. "

I've messaged back saying basically, "No...", am I being unreasonable or picky? When I make mistakes I swallow my pride.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
voxish,Mar 15 2016
01:26 PM
Just bought a MFSL White Album for 44.25 but the seller is asking for extra postage.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311561234292?_tr...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's clear on the description that he wants to send it (I assume) by SD so fair enough but it's a bit cheeky.

This is what he sent:

"On our description of this Album , we state , that we will only send this Album Tracked and Signed for. Ebay have sent an invoice with 3.50 postage to you . Would be prepared to pay another 5.00 towards postage , if we send you an invoice for the extra postage. "

I've messaged back saying basically, "No...", am I being unreasonable or picky? When I make mistakes I swallow my pride.

you are quite right, demand that he send it 2nd class recorded, to be honest at 44 quid thats not too far above the recorded cover, if he wants to send SD then thats down to him as well as the cost.

he is being very cheeky, even if had sold for loads more, had he had SD as an option he could send an invoice to reflect that...usually when i am in that situation as a seller 9 times out of ten I'll take the hit and swallow it, but in this case there is no need even to do that, 2nd class recorded is sufficient.

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just had a similar thing happen, and I'm trying to figure out how I want to approach it.

However I decide, it bothers me because I know that in the same position, I would accept that it was my error and I should keep my word even if it means I'm out a few bucks.

beeb
Level 2
[ *  * ]
You are within your rights to not pay additional shipping. However, we all make mistakes. I would check the sellers feedback score and comments. If they are 100% positive I might consider splitting the difference.

Again, there is no "correct" answer here, just choices, all of which are reasonable.

voxish
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
beeb,Mar 15 2016
04:06 PM
You are within your rights to not pay additional shipping. However, we all make mistakes. I would check the sellers feedback score and comments. If they are 100% positive I might consider splitting the difference.

Again, there is no "correct" answer here, just choices, all of which are reasonable.

Hi Beeb
Yes of course - I messaged them to say that I usually sent 1st class recorded at 4.30 and I'm not expecting them to send it SD for that price. I got a slightly hurt (but not snotty) reply saying did I want them to send it to me economy rate?

My view is that they should be more careful with their advertising (I suspect an honest mistake but to be fair, when I've been caught out like this as a seller and I just take the relatively small hit).

I hope I'm not coming across as a jerk who is gouging them for a few but it seems petty on their part.

Incidentally I was pleased to get a NM MFSL WA for under 50

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
beeb,Mar 15 2016

but what i am trying to say is that there is no real need to send this SD in the first place !!

i could understand it if it sold for more than 50 or 60 quid but it sold for 44 and the max cover for recorded is around 30 so to worry about 14 pounds should it get lost or damage is no real biggy imho, and even worse if you try and get the buyer to fund it when the only beneficiary of the extra cover is the seller.

Remember Buyers are covered regardless, it is down to the seller to protect themselves, if the seller makes a mistake then i think its a bit rich to come after the buyer but especially in this case as the potential loss is so small.

And i say this as a SELLER as well as a buyer.

The Seller - if he didn't - should have put an SD option in and if he did should have invoiced that option before payment was made. The extra cover the buyer is being asked to fund is not for the buyers benefit as he is covered, it is for the sellers benefit.

A Cheeky monkey indeed!

voxish
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
muffmasterh,Mar 15 2016
05:06 PM
beeb,Mar 15 2016

but what i am trying to say is that there is no real need to send this SD in the first place !!

i could understand it if it sold for more than 50 or 60 quid but it sold for 44 and the max cover for recorded is around 30 so to worry about 14 pounds should it get lost or damage is no real biggy imho, and even worse if you try and get the buyer to fund it when the only beneficiary of the extra cover is the seller.

Remember Buyers are covered regardless, it is down to the seller to protect themselves, if the seller makes a mistake then i think its a bit rich to come after the buyer but especially in this case as the potential loss is so small.

The Seller - if he didn't - should have put an SD option in and if he did should have invoiced that option before payment was made. The extra cover the buyer is being asked to fund is not for the buyers benefit as he is covered, it is for the sellers benefit.

A Cheeky monkey indeed!

Over 100 I'd generally offer SD. Expensive stuff (like iPhones) I insist on it but otherwise it's an option. Maybe they expected it to go for a higher amount? What's the going rate for this record?

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
voxish,Mar 15 2016
07:46 PM
muffmasterh,Mar 15 2016
05:06 PM
beeb,Mar 15 2016

A Cheeky monkey indeed!

Over 100 I'd generally offer SD. Expensive stuff (like iPhones) I insist on it but otherwise it's an option. Maybe they expected it to go for a higher amount? What's the going rate for this record?

I would say that these used to go for much more but now are less desired ( poss cos of the recent vinyl remasters ), but these guy came a beggin AFTER it sold...

fab4
Level 1
[ * ]
When you cross sell on eBay for example live in one country and list in another the maximum postage eBay will let you enter often won't cover the actual costs. Buyers don't necessarily read the shipping fine print and often pay before the actual invoice gets sent. In those scenarios it is correct for the seller to ask for the additional funds or refund the payment and then send a correct invoice.

There seems to be some crazy stuff happening with shipping. Prices are through the roof and more and more packages get "lost" in. Transit. This has forced sellers to take out insurance and get tracking numbers for all shipments. To illustrate how crazy it is 1 single Lp mailed from Toronto to London with insurance for say $200 Cdn and tracking costs $54 that's $40 US or 33 . I really think some buyers have no idea how expensive international shipping is so regardless if the buyer hasn't paid the right total i would always ask them to pony up prior to shipping. No one should get beat on shipping - not buyers and not sellers.

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
fab4,Jan 11 2017
01:59 AM
When you cross sell on eBay for example live in one country and list in another the maximum postage eBay will let you enter often won't cover the actual costs. Buyers don't necessarily read the shipping fine print and often pay before the actual invoice gets sent. In those scenarios it is correct for the seller to ask for the additional funds or refund the payment and then send a correct invoice.

There seems to be some crazy stuff happening with shipping. Prices are through the roof and more and more packages get "lost" in. Transit. This has forced sellers to take out insurance and get tracking numbers for all shipments. To illustrate how crazy it is 1 single Lp mailed from Toronto to London with insurance for say $200 Cdn and tracking costs $54 that's $40 US or 33 . I really think some buyers have no idea how expensive international shipping is so regardless if the buyer hasn't paid the right total i would always ask them to pony up prior to shipping. No one should get beat on shipping - not buyers and not sellers.

in my experience you should be able to cover all bases with the postage options and not resort to asking for additional funds, the big exception to this is multi items and ebay do not allow for the extra cost of say 5 lp's for domestic shipping but aside from that its the sellers job to get it right and as far as i am concerned they have to live with that if they don't.

jimboo
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
You bid 44 based on 3.50 shipping. It had 8.50 shipping it may have had less bids and cost the seller money. Low or free shipping usually helps things sell Notice when I list in USA Ebay I can charge an economic shipping rate now. Used to be $4

namralos
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The ad stated explicitly

"Shipping Tracked is 8.55 to UK and double that overseas. We will only send this album tracked and signed for."

One bids knowing that. Based on that knowledge, I think you should pay the 8.55 postage.
If the seller lives nearby, perhaps pick it up in person.

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
namralos,Feb 26 2017
07:47 PM
The ad stated explicitly

"Shipping Tracked is 8.55 to UK and double that overseas. We will only send this album tracked and signed for."

One bids knowing that. Based on that knowledge, I think you should pay the 8.55 postage.
If the seller lives nearby, perhaps pick it up in person.

but the fact is Frank the seller can specify that 8.55 in the actual post rates on the listing but does not. It is entirely possible that if they had shown 8.55 in the top line ( which is a rip off anyway unless it's sale value was over 50 and needed to go special delivery ) they would have got less bids as some buyers baulk at being ripped off.

This seller has pulled a fast one here imho, simply because there is no reason to not show the 8.55 which they mention in the listing body on the top line postage rate as well, instead ithey are showing 3.50 which is deliberate misrepresentation imho.

I would pay the 8.55 but then bad fb their ass, that might get the message across !!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · eBay Help · Next Topic »
Add Reply