Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Admiral Halsey's Budget Collection!
Topic Started: Sep 2 2012, 02:08 PM (39,057 Views)
admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Some of you might consider having my own thread greedy. But, this is to give hope to those of you who may have become rather jaded about the possibilities of getting some good bargains (especially when we have seen such scandalous prices as the recently sold SFF/PL single that went for £200 with a pic sleeve!)

Anyway, I have just had the delight of a short cruise on P&O's Aurora to Zeebrugge. Beforehand, however, I went to Southampton and was disappointed to find that the only decent(!??!) shop in the high street was Oxfam (£20 for a re-press White album without posters and pics:-not my idea of charity shop prices for re-prints). I later discovered a place called Boo Hoo records only ten minutes walk from there. Run by two nice old guys, it is truly a record dive. well, a nice time was had.

First up was a one box stereo A Hard days night for £5 (clean and plays very nicely)

next, a White album poster for a fiver. This is the only place where I've found a dealer willing to sell them separately. Anyone in the area needing a poster should check him out as he had around five to sell separately.

then there's a barcoded stereo PPM (looks excellent) (info on dates/value please), A barcoded and Apple logo'd SPLHCB (looks excellent)(again, dates/values please), a 1-1 Rubber soul (sounds better than it looks).............

There's more............

A Rarities album (retail version), a nice Let it be (MFD in UK/Pathe Marconi label). Everything so far a fiver each!

They threw in four single gratis, Movie medley (sleeve upgrade), ER/YS small print push out, Help! 1st press, and a very nearly mint SLY.

Finally, an Australian tenth Anniversary Greatest Hits double Lp with a White/cream cover. Sadly, this has a nasty scratch (not played yet, so no idea of damage) and a tea stain on the cover. It was only a tenner, and unless I'm wrong available for only a few months, so nice to have either way.

That's it for now. I have some serious listening ahead of me!

AH
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Update:- Rubber soul sounds good, a little subtle crackle in places, but no clicks or jumps.

Let it be, a couple of clicks but otherwise clean.

AH

yellowsubmariner
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good stuff!!

It's very difficult to get stuff outwith Ebay/record fairs. I agree about Oxfam, the one in Glasgow's west end has the odd Beatles item but priced way too high!

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Very little of my stuff is stone mint, but at least i have the items within my means. Ideally, I'd have everything mint, but the silly prices some things are fetching means that I have to be realistic.

I've certainly found some of the comments on this forum encouraging. And I'm really enjoying collecting again. This, surely, has to be the whole point of it.

Anyway, update on condition.........The Ausi greatest plays fine, no jumps or skips. Shame its life has been hard. Now it has found a good home where it will be loved.

The Gratis singles play fine too (the s**t that came out of them with vinyl fluid cleaner was impressive!)

AH

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've just played SPLHCB, which sounds great. Interestingly, the weird run-off groove bit plays before the run-off and into the run-off!

AH

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
See RS thread for further addition.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/BeatlesCollect...&#entry22009968

Also a nice condition Oriole contract IWTHYH for £1.

AH

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
As a result of my budget, some of my lp sleeves need some TLC. Which type of glue do members suggest for seam repairs?

AH

TheItalianFab4
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have never tried it but I've read that it works: Elmer’s Office Glue Stick.

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
TheItalianFab4,Sep 12 2012
07:27 PM
I have never tried it but I've read that it works: Elmer’s Office Glue Stick.

Sorry, missed this one! I'll see if I can source some.

AH

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lovely condition French pressed Hello Goodbye £3. Nice

AH

Nowhere Man
Level 2
[ *  * ]
I have found that a pritt stick is a nice neat way of glueing back flip-backs. Press the offending seam under a heavy book or two for twenty-four hours to ensure good contact.

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Nowhere Man,Sep 19 2012
09:40 AM
I have found that a pritt stick is a nice neat way of glueing back flip-backs. Press the offending seam under a heavy book or two for twenty-four hours to ensure good contact.

I shall try that, we have a pritt stick in the house!

AH

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not sure if these qualify for budget at £5 apiece, but very happy anyway............two silvers 45's CBML & WCWIO.

BTW, the RS 1-1 sold for £23 on Ebay, so a nice little earner!

AH

the57thbeatle
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
You're doing well, Admiral!

admiral halsey
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was! Just found out that an American dealer has just cleaned out two thousand singles I was going to go through on saturday. He's only left 400 :( Oh well, there may be something left for me.

AH

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Albums · Next Topic »
Add Reply