Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Population Count; endangered species
Topic Started: Jun 10 2012, 08:40 PM (10,065 Views)
socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Two related questions.

1. Does anybody know of any resource that lists the number of each LP pressed in various countries? I would be especially interested in the LPs/countries where we know the number is low (e.g., just how many copies of the two Finland LPs were ever made?)

2. Does anybody know of a resource that lists the number of known surviving copies of the superinsaneimnotkiddingforrealzz ultra-rare LPs (e.g., the two Iranian bootlegs, Egyptian Abbey Road, legally pressed Thai Parlophone LPs, etc.)

I think it would be illuminating to see which records are really the scarcest.

Some of the most sought after LPs would likely be surprisingly far down the list. The common wisdom is that there were 900 stereo copies of B&G PPM, and a similar number of stereo version 1 Introducing the Beatles, but I bet there are lots of LPs that were sold in much smaller numbers.

I'm not as much concerned with rarest variations or pressings (although that is also interesting, as you can see with PPM and Introducing), but rarest LP period. The ones I'm thinking of were produced in such tiny numbers that there will generally be only one variation, and often only one pressing.

My second list would also depend on attrition rate. For example, one reason there are so few surviving examples of the Iranian LPs is that after the Islamic revolution in the 70s, western music was declared subversive. The government did not merely order production to cease, it also had the religious police confiscate and destroy existing copies. I would assume most of the surviving copies had already left Iran by this time, because only the most dedicated fan would risk reprisals against himself or his family by an all-powerful, capricious, and deranged theocracy in order to protect a phonograph record, no matter how cherished.

Anybody know of anything like either of these lists?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Don't think such list exist, so it may be a good idead to start one !
Concerning the Egyptian Abbey Road, I know of 3 copies, all sold by someone I know from Egypt (Hany Zaki). The last copy sold for $1500 or somewhere in that range. They also pressed a Wings at the speed of sound, which I have (EMI Sono Cairo) and must even be rarer because demand was probably lower for a Macca record. Turkish LPs are also very rare, I have Abbey Road and Hey Jude and even found a label variant of AR at a record fair some years but it was too expensive (300 euro). It may proof there was a second pressing. Thailand pressed a Help!, it has been in Tracks's sales list for several years for GBP 1500, maybe they still have it for sale.
Some years ago I found a 2 box EMI pressing of Rubber soul, made in Croatia by Croatia Records Zagreb. I know it's not in the league with 1960s pressings, but still a rarity and I never found a second LP from Croatia nor a second copy of Rubber Soul. Do you know of any other Croatian pressings, socorro ?
Finland issued Oldies, Pepper and 20 golden hits (Finnish cover only, Swedish record). Oldies and Pepper may have been pressed in a few hundred copies. Pepper was released also with the wrong PCS7022 release number on the label. Saw it once (compared to zillions of gold PPM).
Norwegian LPs are also very hard to find, with a few hundred pressed at max. The gold label Help! is one of the rarest on the planet possibly.
Dominican Republics are hard to find (never seen a 1960s pressing though, only 1970s pink Odeon labels). I have a Let it be and Sgt Pepper.
The Bolivian Help on red vinyl is one you will see once in your lifetime (if you are lucky). It's on yellow Odeon BOLP-227. Sold some years ago on Ebay, still regretting I didn't bid high enough.
Any LP from Costa Rica is rare. They have superb red Odeon dome labels. It had about 3 million people in the 60s of whom many did not care about los Beatles.
Concerning the Iranian LPs, indeed these are pirate releases, which IMHO are not that interesting. Inferior concerning sleeves and labels and unauthorized by EMI, but rare nonetheless.

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I didn't know of ANY Croatian pressings until you mentioned it today. Another million-to-one long shot for my want list.

I have Costa Rican pressings of Beatles Second Album and Beatles For Sale. I agree, the red odeon label is pretty sweet. Plenty of the latin american countries had the same style, but the closest I've seen to that color is some of the labels from Chile (most of them are more a burgundy color though). They are definitely prized, inner circle items, even though my copy of Second Album is in REALLY rough shape. About 25% of the cover is masking tape (at least it was neatly applied) and the label has a fair amount of writing on it. Beatles For Sale has some laminate loss on the cover, but the disc is in surprisingly good shape.

I bid on a Norwegian copy of Revolver on the black & silver old fashioned parlophone label, but lost. I think it went for about $150. Stupid Socorro, bid higher next time. You mention the B&G Help!, but I would love to find HDN or Beatles For Sale on the purple & white old fashioned Parlophone/Odeon even more.

I never heard of the Bolivian Help! on red vinyl. The impossible just became impossibler.

I'm mildly surprised you were able to find two LPs from the DR. Speaking of tiny impoverished countries with little cutural affinity for the Beatles.

Considering how well the bootleg EPs sold in Thailand, I'm surprised there weren't more legitimate records from there. The Thai EPs were something of a bargain, because they typically included 6 tracks instead of 4. In fact, one enterprising bootlegger managed to squeeze all 12 tracks of Let It Be onto one 7" 33 rpm record. Copies occasionally come up on ebay, and I have one. Is it more accurate to call this an LP or an EP?

The first three danish LPs are also mighty scarce. I'm pretty sure Denmark used the B&G label on more LPs than any other country (PPM, WTB, and HDN). I would love to find HDN on the B&G label (so would every other Beatles collector on the planet). The Hottest Hits eskimo cover gets all the ink, and it is pretty great, but the first three LPs are the true rarities from Denmark.

The easiest to find non-PPM on the B&G label is the Australian WTB. It isn't a dime a dozen, but you can generally find a decent copy every 2-3 months on ebay. I have a VG+ copy and a pretty rough copy (G if you're feeling generous). It has the added virtue of that great Australia-only cover.

namralos
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have been searching for a replacement copy of the White Album from Nicaragua since 1980. Since then, I have seen only TWO other copies. The conditions were not well described, but they were not in great shape.

Love the label, though.

The Costa Rican red label is also very cool.

First of all, I'm only interested in records that came out relatively contemporary to their releases in the UK. Records from iron-curtain countries, for example, which came out later don't have the same level of interest for me. Also, records of questionable legality or quality (e.g., the releases from Korea, Taiwan, and Iran) also do not interest me.
That said...
Other records from faraway places that I think are rare:

Big Beat of the Beatles from South Africa (PMCJ 64). You come across these now and then, but they look like a truck ran over them. Try to find a "near mint" one.

Most LP's from Turkey on the silver label. Please, Please Me is the only one that turns up with any regularity.

The famous "Eskimo cover" album from Denmark, Hottest Hits (Parlophone PMCS 306) and its Swedish equivalent (same catalog number) are tough to find in nice condition -- although beat-up copies do surface.

Beatles Vol. 2 (Odeon LP-12-19085) and Vol. 3 (LP-12-19086) from Ecuador on the red label.

Surfin' con los Beatles en Accion (Odeon OLP 382) from Venezuela. Not the hardest possible record to find, but it's a unique compilation -- which I like.

The Mexican boxed set from 1964 (Musart D-998) -- which also happens to be the FIRST BEATLES BOXED SET worldwide. This thing is undervalued; that's for sure. The Mexican releases of the earlier LP's in stereo on the rainbow label are fairly tough, too. This includes the Musart "No. 5" in stereo, but I'm mainly referring to the Capitol albums that were released in 1965-6.

Several of the Greek albums. The "prized" one is Rubber Soul with the champagne-glass cover (Parlophone PMCG-5), but none of the PMCG series is easy to find.

Red-label copies of the Italian "Beatles in Italy" (Parlophone PMCQ-31506) are tough to find with the cover in nice shape.

The Beatles in Italy from Israel on the black/yellow label is also tough, but the FAKES are easy to find.

The German Something New album in MONO is tough (Odeon O-83756).
Also from Germany, the first album on Hor Zu in MONO (Hor Zu HZE-117), with the original back cover saying that stereo and mono are not compatible, is also tough to find...particularly in nice shape.

Beatles Story (Historia de los Beatles) from Chile (Odeon A-2002 = LDS 36914/5) is the hardest to find Chilean release.

The Brazilian Beatles For Ever LP in MONO (Apple BTL-1017) from 1971, but the stereo release (SBTL-1017) is easy to find.

You won't find many Canadian MONO copies of Meet the Beatles (Capitol T-2047) or Second Album (Capitol T-2080). These records came out in 1968, and some fans say they were only available in mono through a record club.

Tough USA pressings...
Introducing the Beatles (Vee Jay VJLP-1062). All-black label with SMALL brackets. The labels list "Love Me Do" and "PS I Love You," although the songs are not on the record. One genuine copy has been confirmed with this label on side one, and another with the side-two label; no copies are known to have both labels.
Meet the Beatles with large promo banner. These copies were given out to the press corps in February, 1964, when the band first arrived in the states.
Help! -- mono reissue with the mono catalog number at the TOP of the spine instead of the bottom. c. 1968. Only one copy known.
Yesterday...And Today on the red label from 1971. Fewer than 5 known copies.
The White Album, pressed in Scranton with stamper numbers less than 33 on all 4 sides. These copies were compressed and limited by Capitol. When George H. found out about it, he ordered them destroyed. Less than a dozen copies are known, but there could be more.
Abbey Road from Winchester, VA, with the "Capitol logo" label and WITHOUT "Her Majesty" on the label. Only a few copies known.
Capitol Record Club issues of Beatles Second Album (ST-8-2080) and Beatles VI (ST-8-2358) are much harder to find than any of the others. They turn up maybe once every few years.
Decade Boxed Set from 1974 containing Apple copies of the Beatles albums. Less than 10 known copies.
Special Limited Edition boxed set from 1974-5. Less than 10 known copies.

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Namralos: you just named a bunch of my most prized/most coveted albums.

For starters, that's the label style on my Nicaraguan pressing of the white album. According to our friends at popsike, it also came out on orange Odeon and Apple. The discs one that album were in surprisingly good condition -- a few light scuffs and a couple of superficial scratches, lots of gloss, immaculate labels.

I generally agree about contemporaneous releases. I make a few exceptions, though. For example, I like the Guatemalan and Panamanian pressings on lime green Odeon even though they are from 1977. I also like the Swedish record club Golden Greatest Hits from 1979.

The one post-1970 release I would most like to own has to be the one from the Diesterweg music education series for german schoolchildren Musik Zum Mitmachen. I sure would love a copy of that.

I agree 100% about the iron curtain stuff. The only LP I really want is the green bagpipe cover Amiga released in East Germany in 1965. The stuff from Romania, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia holds no interest. The Polish double EP does nothing for me (probably the worst Beatles sleeve from anywhere, except maybe the Romanian LPs, which really sucked too). I would like to find some of the Polish flexi postcards though.

I have a bunch of the Antrop LPs for sheer entertainment value. It was a pretty audacious move to insert himself and his Russian collector friend on the cover of Sgt. Pepper. Not to mention that the cover of my Antrop Rubber Soul is made from a recycled topogrphical map. Ithought the seller was pulling my leg, but sure enough, the interior of the sleeve is a map.

The one soviet pressing that is in the inner circle is my copy of Musical Kaleidoscope No. 8, issued in the USSR by Melodiya in 1967. It is a 10" various artists compilation with one Beatles track "Girl." This was the only legally released Beatles music in the USSR while the group was still together.

As for the other albums you mentioned:

I love the Big Beat compilation, and have a black & silver pressing from S Africa and a midnight blue & silver pressing from S Rhodesia. Not mint but not run over by a truck -- and I know exactly what you're talking about. I've seen lots of copies with hunks of cardbaord missing from the cover. My copies are probably VG- (SA) and VG (rhodesia)

Turkey: The only Odeon LP I am aware other than PPM is Rubber Soul. I would say the Apple release of Abbey Road is the most common legal Turkish LP. The apple pressings of Let It Be and Hey Jude ae far rarer. Would love to have all of them, so far I only have PPM.

I like Hottest Hits but think the market it for it is way too inflated. As noted above, I'd much rather have a copy of the danish Hard Days Night on the B&G Parlophone label.

Ecuador: Now you and I are speaking the same language. I am hot to trot for any of the first six LPs, but Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 on an entirely different level. They have attained mythical status in my mind. Would trade any five LPs in my collection for those two in G+ or better with their covers.

Surfin Con Los Beatles En Accion: pure distilled essence of awesome, marinated in awesome sauce, with an extra side order of awesome. Best Beatles LP title ever, best label style ever, unique track list, great twist on the iconic Angus McBean photo. Absolute killer LP.

Mexico: I'm a huge fan of the Musart LPs. The box set is pretty special. If you find a copy, make sure the discs say sides 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. If Vol. 2 or Vol. 3 in the set says side 1 and side 2, it was probably swapped in from the individual LP.

Yeah, I'd like to find an ED-1018, the stereo Musart Vol. 5. It was only out for a couple of months before Capitol Mexico took over, and is the only Musart Beatles release in stereo. I have a decent contact in Mexico, and he tells me my chances of finding a copy are up there with the one-legged man's chances of winning the ass-kicking championship.

The biggest surprise to me is just how hard it is to find the Capitol Mexico releases of the first five albums on the black and rainbow label at all, let alone in nice condition or in stereo.

The only ones I've found are a VG- copy of Vol. 3 and a VG copy of Vol. 4. I passed up a copy of Vol. 2 that looked like it was used as a doormat, and have yet to find Vol. 5. The weird thing is that it is quite easy to find copies on greenlabel Capitol that are cheap and in VG+ or better.

Whew, that's enough for now. I'll respond re Italy, Greece, etc. in another post later.

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
OK Namralos, I'm back for round 2.

I effing love the champagne cover Rubber Soul. I've bid good money on copies that were inG+ or VG- condition, and have been the bridesmaid a couple of times. They come up every few months, and I am confident a copy will eventually find a loving home with yours truly. The much harder item from Greece is the circa 1970 temp cover for the stereo releases of PPM, Sgt Pepper, Let It Be and Hey Jude.

I've seen several of the PMCG releases on b&y Parlophone lately on ebay. Looks like they're going for about 80 to 100 euros.

With The Beatles PMCQ 31506, on red Parlophon -- another personal favorite. I've been the bridesmaid on several of these. I finally lucked into a copy on black Parlophon that was in such good shape I lost all desire to upgrade. The owner must have gotten it as a gift and tucked it into a drawer for several decades, Full gloss and no ring wear on that dark cover, if you can believe it. One pushed corner and a compressed spine are the only obvious flaws.

Beatles In Italy. Israel veresion. I got a nice one box black & silver for cheap, and can't see spending the hundreds of dollars needed to upgrade to a b&y in comparable condition. Nice LP but not inner circle.

German green Odeon mono version of Something New. Welcome back to the land of great LPs I really want. This is one I'm willing to wait for.

Love and have an HZE 117 copy of Die Beatles. There are 20 stereo copies for each mono copy, or so it seems, but Germany was such a huge market that copies aren't too punishing to find.

La Historia De Los Beatles: what a curiosity. Of all the US releases for Odeon Chile to press, this is probably the least logical. Apparently Chilean Beatles fans agreed, which is why it is so hard to find. This isn't a must have, mortgage the farm item, but definitely on my radar.

For my money, the hottest ticket from Chile is the White Album, which is actually two albums and not white. I have a copy of Vol. 1 with condition issues (it is out of its original plastic, so I just have the pieces of the cover in a poly sleeve). I'd love to find a better copy of Vol. 1, and a copy of Vol. 2. I'm actually surprised at how few Beatles items are offered from Chile on ebay.

Brazil: The mono version of Beatles Forever was promo only, which explains the scarcity. I'd like a copy, but not a must have. The only Brazilian LP that really compels me is Twistin', which is identical to the German My Bonnie except for the title. I already have the MOFB LPs, which are awesome and were printed in large enough numbers to be findable and affordable.

Canada: Meet the Beatles and Beatles Second Album are hard enough to find in stereo on the rainbow band label. Mono is just overkill. The canadian LP I'm still looking for is The Early Beatles on the rainbow band label. Capitol Canada did not release it until shortly before the green target label debuted so it is tough to find.

Most of the US items you mention come under the heading of "variations" which is not really my thing. I would like to fill out my record club releases on blac,k rainbow, so far I have Meet The Beatles and Revolver.

Beyond that I would like copies of the ad back and blank back Introducing The Beatles. Since I'm wishcasting, I would also really like an Ifield portrait cover.

I have no wish for Jolly What! It isn't all that rare, it is really unattractive, and it is expensive. Pass.

I'll probably eventually buy a butcher cover, but my thoughts on it are pretty close to George Harrison's (stupid and gross). With the exception of the first state copies, it isn't even especially rare. I think the prices are ridiculously inflated and will only buy it if a copy falls in my lap at a rock bottom price.

Baard
Member Avatar
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
socorro,Jun 11 2012
12:25 AM
You mention the B&G Help!, but I would love to find HDN or Beatles For Sale on the purple & white old fashioned Parlophone/Odeon even more.

Ahh, you mean this one :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

I love the glossy look on this on even more:
Posted Image

Posted Image

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's some of my collection, would love to see your rarities !!!
Barbados (a country with 250,000 people.....)
Posted Image
Costa Rica
Posted Image
Kenya (black vinyl :D )
Posted Image
Turkey
Posted Image
Posted Image
Dominican Republic
Posted Image
Nicaragua THE BETLES !!
Posted Image
Mocambique
Posted Image
Panama
Posted Image

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Israel (Harvest label)
Posted Image
Croatia
Posted Image
Bolivia (the Help! on red wax is not mine unfortunately, itīs taken from Ebay'
Posted Image
Posted Image

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Baard, great records !! The rarest Norwegian is the gold label Help, isnīt it ? If I remember well, it was discovered just a few years ago...
Posted Image

Baard
Member Avatar
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
I'm not sure Servi! It may well be so, but I canot remember being surprised seeing it for the first time...
It has been listed HERE for some time...

If you want to splash out Ģ120 you can get it here:
Norwegian Black/Gold Help

socorro
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Stop it, you're killing me. I'm at work, and now I need to change my shirt because I was drooling so hard.

Seriously, that is some outstanding vinyl.

The Norwegian purple & white Parlophone/Odeon label is killer. I'd love to have a copy of that one.

I bid on a copy of the 1967-1970 compilation from Mozambique (or was it 1962-1966?), but got buried. I think I maxed out at about $75 and it went for about $140.

The pressings from Barbados, Kenya, Panama, etc. are cool. They're post breakup, but the fact that they exist at all is amazing -- as you note, Barbados had a population of about 250,000. The Turkish LPs are pretty great too. Nuff said about Nicaragua and Costa Rica.

Where does Harvest fit into the Israeli Beatles picture? I know the LPs were originally pressed by Parlophone, then Apple, then Parlophone again, then CBS/Portrait. Was Harvest after that, or somewhere in the middle?

Then there are the ones I had never heard of: the pink label Sgt. Pepper from the DR and the red vinyl Bolivian Help!

With respect to the Croatian Rubber Soul, I did a little poking around on wikipedia and and learned that Croatia Records is the corporate successor to Jugoton, which pressed most of the Beatles catalog in the 60s and 70s. The name changed in 1990, more or less concurrently with the breakup of the former Yugoslavia and Croatian independence.

I wonder how much of the Beatles catalog is available on vinyl from Croatia Records. On one hand, Jugoton had rights to most of the catalog. On the other hand, by 1990 when the company changed its name to Croatia Records, vinyl was disappearing and being supplanted by CDs. More investigation needed.

I'll try to post some scans when I get a chance. I think I know the stuff you'd be interested in.

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
socorro,Jun 11 2012
03:33 PM
I'll try to post some scans when I get a chance.

Please do ! Let's add a little colour to the forum ;) Would love to see international pressings that others have, the more obscure the better..
The Israeli Harvest is just a case of taking the wrong batch of labels IMO, a nice one to have but probably not worth much.
The only reason I can think of why Barbados pressed Beatles vinyl (beside the fact that it's good music), is maybe the tourist industry. Or who knows, maybe they found a lucrative bussiness by exporting them to Antigua, Trinidad and Guadaloupe :D They pressed a Hey Jude 7" as well (probably '68) plus I have a Jet single, an Imagine LP so it is also possible that Barbados has a hidden clan of Beatles fans.
Here is a picture of Let it be from that country.
Croatia: socorro, you have the same questions as I have: was the whole catalogue released ? No idea, I have never been able to find any information on these pressings, maybe I will try to contact a Yugoslavian dealer from which I bought some things in the past.
Mocambique: I think it was 1962-1966 as I remember bidding as well, to get the red and blue LPs complete, but also my bid was not high enough. I got my copy for 35 euro about 10 years ago from a Portuguese dealer (I believe Mocambique was Portuguese in the past).
Socorro, have you ever seen an LP from Lebanon or Pakistan ? They issued a considerable amount of singles and it is possible in theory that LPs were pressed there as well.
And what pressings do you know from Panama and Guatamala ? I have several on yellow or light green Odeon (I'm sure you know the label, otherwise I will post them) but I believe these are early 1970s pressings. I would like to know if there are any 1960s pressings made in these countries ?

namralos
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Here are some of my pseudo-interesting and somewhat colorful LP's.

Posted Image
Argentine original "yellow" Odeon Pops label.

Posted Image
Original Beatles Again (unique cover and compilation)...from Brazil.

Posted Image
Brazilian Beatles For Ever MONO

Posted Image
Chilean gold stereo label.

Posted Image
Colombian Beatles Vol. 5 cover.

Posted Image
I guess everyone must have a favorite Costa Rican LP.

Posted Image
Danish Eskimo cover. I also have the Swedish cover scanned.

Posted Image
German MONO My Bonnie LP.

namralos
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]

Posted Image
The famous Greek "champagne cover" LP. Wish it were mine!

Posted Image
Nice Italian red label -- semi-unique compilation.

Posted Image
Mexican Musart label.

Posted Image
Original Israeli Beatles in Italy cover.

Posted Image
Original Israeli label.

Posted Image
The Peruvian Capitol LP. This label style was issued in 1958-60 in the US but wound up being issued in Peru for this Beatles LP alone.

Posted Image
South Africa / Rhodesian Big Beat cover

Posted Image
Spanish blue "dome top" label.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Albums · Next Topic »
Add Reply