Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Beatles Collecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Labelographies
Topic Started: Sep 8 2009, 03:47 PM (2,647 Views)
Baard
Member Avatar
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
It's six moths now since the last update of the Labelographies, and several labels and variations are put on hold for publication. We are also a long way from a complete album discography, and the EP/single labelography is also in the dark.
I know Andy and Mike have put in lots of hours making the site what it is now, but it seem that they both have hit a snag or are fed up with the amount of work.
It's a pity because it would be nice to at least have the albums complete.

I can understand if Andy and Mike have other commitments and priorities taking up their time, but would it be possible to engage more people in the publishing of the Labelographies? There are lots of knowledgeable people on here capable of giving a hand, and I'm sure people are willing as well.

What say you??? :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will Cambell
Level 2
[ *  * ]
Hi,

‘And there was a silence across the land’ !... maybe nobody cares !, your post needed a reply ‘Baard’, I share your view.

I for one would be happy to continue the work needed to at least finish off the ‘Labelographies’ but we would need to get the licensing rights etc for this website.

I know for a fact that ‘Pacey’ is still active, as he bought a record off me some weeks back !.

I was irritated some months back, some guy came on and started criticising the topics and discussions that the Forum was having, a ‘person’ who NEVER contributes to the Forum but took it upon himself to criticise those who do regularly contribute and that DID p-ss me off.

Do you remember the suggestion of maybe a facility to buy and sell records on this website ?, what happened…..nothing !

If the ship is sinking, then it seems that the Captain wishes to go down with the ship !, what a shame !

WC.

:(

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

I agree witht he both of you but I feel dis-enclined to be critical as there's a lot of work which I for one would not wish to take on.

However if there are volunteers to help I am all in favour of them being allowed to if it's practical to do so.

PS I don't think the ship is sinking. More and more people are comming onto the site and posting, our little community I think is growing - we are just in dry dock at the mo!

britinvasion64
Level 1
[ * ]
Quote:

I was irritated some months back, some guy came on and started criticising the topics and discussions that the Forum was having, a ‘person’ who NEVER contributes to the Forum but took it upon himself to criticise those who do regularly contribute and that DID p-ss me off.

I assume this was directed at me, but I still maintain that if you look at the quality of discussion that once was a mainstay on this forum, it's not difficult to see how much it has degraded to mindnumbing, and in many cases, repetitive verbiage - it would be to everyone's benefit to take some time and peruse the past topics!

It certainly doesn't suprise me that some members no longer are contributing, as from where I sit, the members who are, really have contributed very little of value. In many cases, you haven't even taken the time to learn what facts have already been established and simply continue to bore us with minutiae and repetitive drivel that is better suited to drive one screaming in to the night!

Tighten it up you wankers!

gzzsbj
Level 2
[ *  * ]
I was going to ignore this, which is what is deserving of this last post by 'Britinvasion64', but on refelction, something needs to said in defence of the forum and its members.

I, for one, in the short time I have been a member and contributor have gained immense satisfaction from the posts and information posted on this site.
Listen, britinvasion64, if you don't like what's going on here, why not do something positive, like begin an intelligent thread, we can all gain from and discuss? I can't stand someone who criticises without an sensible alternative option.
It's a pity that your only posts have to be negative and derogatory, resorting to unnecessary defamatory comments, unbecoming of a member of this excellent forum, and worthy of the removal of your membership by the moderators.

servi
Member Avatar
Level 5
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Forum members let's just ignore this britinvasion person, that's the best policy IMO. He just has too much time.. I have been a member of this forum since it started (member no. 3 !) and enjoy it every day, it makes Beatles vinyl collecting a lot more fun !! Learned a lot here and was able to help others occasionally. Im sure most other active members think the same.

muffmasterh
Level 7
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

Looking at when Canadian Carl (Britinvasion) came on site back in May his more recent posts seem as if they have come from a different person.

Anyway Carl is totally entitled to his opinion but calling other members wankers is not exactly going to get a postitive reaction from many of us.

However I would be more than happy for Carl to put us right when it comes to any factual errors that we all might make. It's not always possible to find out answers to everything before we post ( just try googling any question about beatles records and you will see you won't get much help there ) indeed I think part of the function of this forum is for members to post questions to other members to help them out with, even if sometimes many of us think the questions may be banal or seem obvious to some of us.

We are all here to learn more so Carl feel free to help us out when you can mate or post some new topics or even update some old ones that you think we should revisit....

Baard
Member Avatar
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
So, another five months has passed since my initial post and it's status quo regarding updates.

I feel the Labelographies are the backbone of this forum, it's where we categorise the different label versions and keep track of all the new variants.
This community is suffering at the moment and not much is being discussed in the forums partly because there are lots of material waiting to be published in the labelographies. I know it is time consuming but as I said in the original post, there are several willing to help if asked!

In the past we have discussed the possibility to add labelographies for singles and EP's, and a coverology as well and a "innerology".
Of course this would mean some considerable work to be done and I understand that Andy and Mike don't have the time they used to for this right now.

I can understand the admins reluctance to let others take over their baby, but I feel the forum will die if we can't have some progress.

Is it possible to set up a hidden page, like we have with the Inners-page, where not only A & M have access to add/edit?
My thought is that we could discuss and add variants like we used to, but it will stay hidden until the admins find time to publish it on the main site.
I'm thinking that just a couple of the members have these "publishing privileges", but everyone can add new variants and discuss in the forums.
We need some that have a bit more time on their hands than the admins to do this, and Henry would be a superb candidate in my mind if he can spare the time, but I'm sure there are others as well.

the57thbeatle
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
I wholeheartedly agree with Baard.
Also, I think members will be more enthousiastic to post new info and pics here when things get going a bit more than they have done in the past.
I'm sure there's so much more to explore when it comes to labels, inners, covers, export and contract pressings, but the Labelographies should really be updated.

yarvelling
Member Avatar
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
I am in complete agreement with Baard and 57thBeatle.
I would be prepared to put in a few hours of a week (mainly days off from work), to help with the updating/maintaining of the labelographies...
I agree also, with 57thbeatle that export and contract pressings would be of interest, and it would be good to see a section dedicated to them. I should like to see the US section started too, along with singles and EP's.
It may-well make sense to ship these areas out to willing members to make a start on, and get them rolling.
Cheers,
Steve.

Nowhere Man
Level 2
[ *  * ]
I have become very aware of the looming date of March 7th - 1 year since the last update. I have been happy to be understanding and patient, but I feel we need to try and do something. The constant development of the content of this site (labelographies, coverologies, inner-sleeveologies etc) is the driving force and without it we have been drifting somewhat. We have lost the regular input of some very knowledgable members (ztox, warmbuddy among others) and I'm sure the site is much the poorer because of it.

We were promised some updating at the end of last year, but nothing has materialised. Now I appreciate the problems that Andy and Mike have, but something needs to happen soon. This is , or maybe was, the best Beatles record site on the web but it will soon cease to be if things don't improve. I still enjoy picking the brains of those members better informed than me (most of you!) but I have to say that I am starting to lose my enthusiasm.

Ultimately it is their site, but I would ask Andy and Mike to find a way of delegating some of the work to those that have the time, knowledge and enthusiasm to help them get things done. Maybe they could set up some templates to ensure the format and style are not compromised. Or they could act more as editors. If nothing happens soon I am afraid it will die on its feet and a lot of hard work and a fantastic resource will go to waste.

I hate to be critical, but it is because I like this site so much (and can see how fantastic it could and should be) that I feel I have to say something.

Peace and love everybody! :)

Baard
Member Avatar
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
It seems Andy doesn't mind someone else helping out with this.
As I understand it, we won't be given any rights to add to the Labelographies ourselves, but rather sort out which new variations not yet published,
write the text and finding out where they fit in the existing order.
When that's done I guess Andy will publish it in the Labelographies.

What we need to do is finding out how far Andy has come in the New Variations thread.
We also need to find out how to do this. One option is that we could ask for a new sub-forum to be set up where those of us willing to participate have access and are able to work with this. I'm sure there are other things to do as well...

the57thbeatle
Member Avatar
Level 4
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hello? :unsure:

PMC7070
Member Avatar
Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
Hello, how are you?

Will Cambell
Level 2
[ *  * ]
Hi,

Not bad old boy, how are you ?

WC.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Problems With the Site / Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply